PLEASE HELP!!WK OLD Duckling bowel blockage

NewDuckMama4

Chirping
Aug 11, 2019
!!!PLEASE HELP!!! Week old duckling w/ bowel blockage!????

please help my week old duckling had a brief running with my indoor cat 4 days ago she only had one small puncture wound on the side of her head which I clean with vetericyn then applied triple antibiotic ointment
I then mixed up a dose of Amtryl in water but then added a small amount of sugar and molasses and some dried oregano
she was drinking that very well for the last 4 days and was pooping just fine until today!!!!!!!!!
I came home and found she had pasty butt which I have been watching for it upon closer inspection I have noticed that I can actually see that there is poop inside her vent so I then put her in some warm water and put some triple antibiotic ointment on her bottom I then tried to give her some coconut oil but at this point she is not eating or drinking anything and it's going downhill fast I don't know what to do when I don't want to lose her I have stopped antibiotic and have a bowl of plain water with coconut oil as well as another dish with Hydro hen in it I can tell she's uncomfortable and slipping away fast please help I seen some where that someone used some sort of flush to irrigate the bowels out I'm not sure how to do that or if I even should
any immediate help is very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Is taking her to the vet am option?
No unfortunately not but i have several medical supplies and medications on hand if you have any suggestions !! I just came to check on her and I can see where she did just poop what appears to be white and clear and I believe I seen her take a sip of water also thank you so much 4 responding to my post so quickly

But unfortunately what I could see inside her vent appeared to be a darker colored poop so I believe she is still impacted

I wanted to post this under emergencies to try to get as much feedback as possible but I still struggle with maneuvering around this site

Her vent does appear to be clear or no I was able to gently release the very small amount of dark poop that was in it but she is very thin and I need to figure out how to get her eating and her weight up quickly right here she will not make it

Hmm I wish I could help more. You might want to look into tube or syringe feeding the duckling, that is what you would want to do for an adult duck but I'm not so sure how it would work out with a duckling. I know @KaleIAm has a lot more experience with duck sickness than me, maybe she would have an idea?

If you want to post it in the emergencies section I think that would be a good idea, here is the link if you would like to make another post there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

How is your duckling doing?

I'm sorry I couldn't respond earlier I was away without internet access.

I don't have experience with this particular problem in a duck, but when my cat had a blockage he needed surgery to have it removed. Since you can't see a vet, I'm not sure what to recommend. I have heard of people recommending oils to help blockages pass through - I've also read that oils can be deadly if aspirated.

A lot easier to assess problems over the internet with pictures - could you post a few of the duckling, including its vent area?
If there is some dried fecal matter around its vent, grab a warm damp cloth, and gently try to work at the fecal matter.
After doing so place her in a warm stress-free area, and see if she will eat any mashed scrambled eggs or duckling feed made into a soupy mash.
Mineral oil is a mild laxative, and lubricant and will help to lubricate and get the digestive tract going; you can add a few drops of the oil to the duckling's feed. It is important to never try to give duckling oil orally as they can develop aspiration pneumonia.
Among the other things, the stress of this whole situation likely has created some nutritional, and electrolytes deficits, so she may respond to a poultry vitamin daily overfeed.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ideal-animal-health-mineral-oil-light
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/nutri-drench-poultry-4-oz

Back
Top Bottom