Please help! won't eat or drink after surgery!

princess araucana

Songster
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
Rhode Island
Yesterday I performed crop surgery on my rooster, I pulled out a huge (over a cup) amount of pebbles, hay and even something glittery!

FYI- this was a last resort! I brought him to 3 vets who would not operate!

The surgery went ok, except the incision in his crop was too big and because it was full and expanded for a very long time the crop has has lost elasticity and did not shrink back. I stitched up the crop as best I could (dissolvable sutures) and then stitched up the skin.

Before surgery I had him inside for 2 days for observation and crop massage but nothing helped and he was not eating or drinking. I used syringe to give 50cc water.

Now the day after surgery, he seems very alert and fine, crowing, and preening feathers, but still will not even drink. I gave him a buffet of yogurt, baby food peas, apple sauce and a runny scrambled egg. I sprinkled some crumble around the food for the sound effect and he liked that and wanted peck at the dry feed which I am not feeding him.

Any recovery help or advice?

Anyone know if Baytril is a good antibiotic to give?

His crop was really messed up (no sores) I am really scared for him! Any thoughts or prayers for him will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Try making his crumble in to a mushy mash. Or oatmeal is another good soft food.

I have heard good things about Baytril, but don't know anything about the dosage. He will definitely need antibiotics to ward off post surgery infection. I hope everything turns out well for him.

Jody

Yeah! He went crazy for the mash! Thank you Jody!!!!!

I thought it would be too hard on his system, but I put a bunch of water and mixed the electrolyte into it and he slurped it up! I only let him have it for a minute so he wouldn't over do it, I'll give him more in an hour or so.

All the other girls go nuts for yogurt and apple sauce, I guess he just likes the regular food best!

Regarding the antibiotics, the vet gave me 5 single servings of the Baytril liquid in a syringe with out the needle to give by beak, but I do not know the dosage.
The vet did not know much about chickens and did not weigh him.
Also I got them over a month ago, are they still good?
If not what antibiotic should I give and where can I get it?

Thank you for your hope and prayers WWIT!

It sounds like you've done a great job with the surgery and after care. The rooster's throat is sore. I would not offer him anything but liquids for at least three days. Even though the food is soft, liquids would be better. You can add water to the food he is obviously eating well, and blend it to a more liquid form. You don't want stuff getting back in that enlarged crop.

I would definately go with the instructions from the Vet. Remember, the first three days are critical.

Keep an eye on his overall behavior, the wound, his poop, and any slobber. Keep a check on the temp of his feet, odd odor, and the condition of his eyes. Write it all down every time you do anything for him. Anything unusual calls for a quick trip to the Vet.

That crop might need reduction.

He definately needs antibiotic protocol.

Good luck! You sound like a great bird surgeon to me, and a great nurse as well!

I really hope your rooster gets better. Maybe he just needs a little more time to come around.
As a side note, I'm definitely not trying to start anything or ruffle any feathers but I'm not sure Baytril is legal to use extra-label in food animal species. I know a lot of vets overlook these things...just thought I'd throw that information out there.

Thanks for the advice and signs to check BethinIrving, I would not have thought of feet temp. should not be too hot or too cold right?
And I thought a crop reduction would be a good idea! I do not feel capable of performing that surgery, maybe a plastic surgeon vet, for a crop tuck! but in all seriousness I don't think I can afford vet surgery now. just hoping all went well and will work.

KLH2010, I don't even know what you mean? The vet gave it to me for the bird. If there is a contraindication for food animals, it is for a rooster who I have not seen mount any hens so I can't see any residual drug getting into consumed eggs?

In general where can we get safe antibiotics for our chickens and know how much to use?

Back
Top Bottom