Please help!

It can take over 24 hours from the first pip for a chick to finish hatching. It's normal. Peeping means the chick can breathe, and it's got it's yolk to sustain it. There is no rush to get it out.
Read this whole thing before you even think about helping.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
I have, quite some time ago, I am pretty concerned though, just got home from work and he's no further along. The membrane has dried out during the day despite the ointment. When I took him out of the incubator he peeped like mad... Not sure if it's a good sign or a bad one

Last edited:
I think peeping is a good sign. Could you post a picture of the pip?
I wish I could, but even better I can post a picture of my newly hatched chick! He finally made it out! I think maybe the hard chill after being kicked out of the nest for so long in such cold weather slowed his process down a little? But he is up and ready to go as soon as he got all the way out he was very active and fluffed up really quickly in the lower humidity incubator! After he had some time in there and I was sure he was totally dry I took him outside put his mum on the nest and stuck him under her. She settled right down on top of him to keep him warm. Hopefully she's a good mommy to him because it's too cold out for her to not be.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom