1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrmolases2, Jun 14, 2017.

1. mrmolases2

mrmolases2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    one of my chickens are sneezing and it has mucus coming from somewhere on its face please help!

2. Lamaremybabies

Lamaremybabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    Sounds like respiratory disease.

3. Shirley531

Shirley531 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    They do get something that resembles a cold. With mine, it's only ever happened in association with stress eg new birds or changes in the flock. Have once resorted to antibiotics from the vet, but there are also herbal remedies such as apple cider vinegar.

Lamaremybabies likes this.
  4. Lamaremybabies

Lamaremybabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    :goodpost:

5. mrmolases2

Mar 26, 2017
    but it only sneezed two times so what would that mean and how would i give the apple cider vinegar

6. DocBirdBrain

DocBirdBrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2011
    Is it a new bird? Have you recently introduced birds to your flock? If possible, it's good to figure out where the disease came from.
    Sneezing and mucous are signs of a respiratory infection, which could be caused by any number of bacteria or viruses. Sometimes it can be mild and self-limiting, sometimes it can be treated with antibiotics (if it is bacterial), and unfortunately some respiratory diseases can be devastating and severe.
    If this is the only bird acting sick, you can try separating it and giving it supportive care-keep its nares (nostrils) clear from mucous, make sure it has food in easy reach, and consider adding a vitamin/electrolyte mixture to the water (be sure to properly dilute it, less is more)
    If it becomes very lethargic, doesn't want to eat, has difficulty breathing or lots of mucous find an avian vet!
    Best of luck

7. mrmolases2

Mar 26, 2017
    well i dont know which one because it has not sneezed again

8. DocBirdBrain

DocBirdBrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2011
    Maybe the she just got some dust up her nose! :)
    I wouldn't do anything else to your chickens, just actively monitor.

9. Shirley531

Shirley531 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    ACV is normally mixed in with drinking water. It's a good tonic generally and can be given to all birds. Please check on the internet for concentration bearing in mind the size of your drinking vessel. Don't use it with galvanised vessels. Hope that helps.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is your bird?

Did she only sneeze 2x? Are you still seeing mucous?

Chickens will sometimes sneeze to clear their nares (nostrils) especially when eating/drinking - this could cause a bit of liquid (water) to be present.

Respiratory illness you would see a fair amount of mucous - a lot of times it will be crusty on the beak and nostrils. The birds would also be continually sneezing.

Let us know how she is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by