PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Burbs03, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Burbs03

Burbs03 Chirping

Mar 8, 2017
    My rooster attacked my new hen and she is bleeding on her beak and foot, what should i do IMG_0590[1].PNG IMG_0589[1].PNG IMG_0589[1].PNG

2. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Songster

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    Separate her. If other chickens see red, they will pick at it. A little corn starch to stop the bleeding. And get OTHER opinions from wiser folks than me!

3. Burbs03

Burbs03 Chirping

Mar 8, 2017
    Okay, should i wrap her foot, I only have four hens and we separated the rooster, the other hens are some what afraid of her (she is five years old), the bleeding has somewhat stopped i just don't want her foot to get infected

4. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Songster

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    Separate her, bring her in to a clean environment overnight until it heals a bit. Wash it, use a mild antiseptic

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like she may have had a bumblefoot scab already on the bottom of her foot, and it came off in the scuffle. Bumblefoot is very common, and is a staph infection caused by a small cut in the skin. I would squeeze on the footpad in case there is a little pus or a plug in there. Apply some neosporin or similar ointment, and wrap it up in some vet wrap or similar. Her beak may stop bleeding on it's own, or just put some flour or corn starch on it if it gets worse. New chickens usually are quarantined for at least 30 days to watch in case they show symptoms of a respiratory disease, or to look for lice or worm. But since they have already been together, I would let them free range together, and make sure they are not ganging up on her. They will rearrange their pecking order in the next few days. Have at least 2 water and food spots so she can get to them without being bullied. Place Mr. Rooster in a crate near all of the hens until the new hen has fit in. Here is a bit of reading about bumblefoot:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

[​IMG]
    A typical bumblefoot scab

Mace Gill likes this.
  6. Burbs03

Burbs03 Chirping

Mar 8, 2017
    ok thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: