Please help

Ty i luv my birds im still crying over him especially when i buried him

Awww....Christy:hugs
I know it's upsetting, but he was sick and not able to eat or drink. Releasing him from his pain was a kind, loving and unselfish thing to do. What I do when one of my birds dies, is to paint a small rock with their name and date on it to mark their grave. Maybe doing something like that will help you.

Ty i did i will send u a pic tommorrow i got a big square rock and got his name on it d.o.b. and d.o.d and wrote you will be missed baby boy cock a doodle doo and i bought some flowers too i dont have any children i cant have any for some reason anyways my birds are like my children i love them sooo much words just cant explain

Not really. The reason you don't routinely treat for mites is that they can become resistant to what you're using. If you notice their feathers looking extra fuzzy, or a bit ratty, be sure to check them. You should be picking them up, and checking them all over at least once a week, anyway. That way you will know, if they're losing weight, got lice/mites, and injury, etc.
I know that is absolutely true on all counts. While I can see ok, I can’t see well enough to look for mites and lice (much as I hate admit I can’t see that well) and these chickens <sigh> are so skittish it is discouraging. I can watch their feathers, though they look ratty when they are molting too. I agree the feathers hide it if they are thin and I want to pick them up if for no other reason than to love on them. I am allergic to eggs so they are truly pets. I just had the thought to treat them maybe every 3 months or so it would prevent them parasites that killed Blossum. That is why I loved my little Blossum so much. She came when I called her, and jumped up on my lap and laid down. The other 3 even though they are Orpingtons have kept me at arms length. When I give them medicine, you have never seen such a commotion. That is why I have to give medicine or treat for parasites after they have gone to bed. Now they will come up to me when I have a treat but to try and catch them is futile. I got them as juveniles (2) and pullets (2) and while I wonder if that is the reason they are so flighty, I have in the past had 2 other Orpingtons that I got as juveniles and they came around in a week are two. I want to get two more Orpingtons but I guess it is too late in the season. So I will have to wait until spring to have chickens that I can pick up. Do you think I would be better off to get maybe 6 week old chicks so they could be domesticated more easily. Many thanks for any advice

Treating them with 4-5 drops of the Ivermectin pour on, every 4 months shouldn't hurt them, and that may be the better solution for you. I've bought pullets, and raised my own chicks. Some chickens are just more friendly than others. I incubate, and hatch eggs. They still go through various stages of flightiness, non-flightiness as the grow, and mature. Some of them will be friendlier than others. Several of mine will jump on my lap, and don't mind being petted, but still don't like being picked up. Others hang back, unless treats are involved.

You may try offering a little bit of treats, each day, for several days, but only put them down near you, so they have to get close to you to get them. Don't give them too many treats each day, just a little bit. After several days, skip a day, and see what happens. After you skip a day, offer treats the next couple days, then once again, skip a day. Then treat for three days, then skip a couple days. I do this, and keep rotating, so they can't actually learn a schedule for treats. They simply have to come to me to see if it's treat day. Usually, after a few weeks of this, they are rushing up to me everyday for a treat, and if it's not treat day, most of them don't mind jumping up on my lap to check for themselves, or remind me that they are very available for a treat. Don't worry if there is 1 that hangs back.

You might consider a long handled fish net, or a poultry hook to assist you, when they refuse to cooperate with your attempts to catch them.

Before going back to that vet, may I suggest you come on BYC for your help in regards to chickens. There are a lot of very experienced people on here that can usually give good information, and save you the cost of a big vet bill, unless there is no other option.

Good luck with your chicken keeping experience.

If you have any more health issues with them, you might want to use this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

You might find that someone else has had a similar health issue, and the answers are already there for you, OR you can post, in that section, and someone will respond. Typically the people with more badges under their names, are extremely knowledgeable.

I know that is absolutely true on all counts. While I can see ok, I can’t see well enough to look for mites and lice (much as I hate admit I can’t see that well) and these chickens <sigh> are so skittish it is discouraging. I can watch their feathers, though they look ratty when they are molting too. I agree the feathers hide it if they are thin and I want to pick them up if for no other reason than to love on them. I am allergic to eggs so they are truly pets. I just had the thought to treat them maybe every 3 months or so it would prevent them parasites that killed Blossum. That is why I loved my little Blossum so much. She came when I called her, and jumped up on my lap and laid down. The other 3 even though they are Orpingtons have kept me at arms length. When I give them medicine, you have never seen such a commotion. That is why I have to give medicine or treat for parasites after they have gone to bed. Now they will come up to me when I have a treat but to try and catch them is futile. I got them as juveniles (2) and pullets (2) and while I wonder if that is the reason they are so flighty, I have in the past had 2 other Orpingtons that I got as juveniles and they came around in a week are two. I want to get two more Orpingtons but I guess it is too late in the season. So I will have to wait until spring to have chickens that I can pick up. Do you think I would be better off to get maybe 6 week old chicks so they could be domesticated more easily. Many thanks for any advice

Your r absolutley right my birds r all pets i always buy them young and raise them that way u can make pets and such i have 14 other birds sex links leghorns amber links and some mini bantams now the bantams i got fully grown in im trying to get them ust to me its hard but im starting to try n get them to eat feed out of my hands but if you want tame birds i suggest get them when they r young and baby the heck out of them lol well thats what i do with mine ❤

Back
Top Bottom