PLEASE HELP

Chickens4lifem8

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2018
I've been a backyard chicken owner for about a year now and everything has been going great until about five days ago.
I opened my chicken coop to do my daily feed, water, and loving and I noticed one of the three hens weren't getting up and eating. I let her be for about two hours just thinking she was maybe laying an egg, when I came back she still wouldn't move. I took her out of the coop so the other hens wouldn't mess with her. I took her in my room, gave her food and water, even magnesium, and electrolytes. I though she might be egg bound but it's been five days and she just keeps loading weight. We've been giving her Epsom salt baths, hand feeding her yogurt,bird feed, water, and vitamins but she hasn't gotten any better. I don't know how to help her..

Can she move? Last time she laid egg? Does her poop look normal?
She barely moves and if she does she uses her wings to support her.
Her poo is normal but she's not pooping that much, maybe like 2-3 times a day. And she hasn't laid any eggs for about a week.

Don't bathe her any more until you get some further direction. Bathing is stressful on a chicken.
If she's skinny it probably isn't anything around being egg bound.
The only time she really seems comfortable is when we bath her.
Screenshot_20180228-184722.png

Keep her warm and quiet inside with water/electrolytes available you have it. Keep her stress low.
Feed her whatever she will eat, meaning boiled or scrambled eggs are good. Yogurt is very hard to digest for a chicken. Chicken feed is best,but if she won't eat that get anything she will eat down her for the short term.
You have to make sure the food is being absorbed by her and coming out the other end.
Do research in this forum about impacted crop/sour crop.
Other reasons for weight loss can be parasites or worms.
Checking for lice/mites (although you probably would have seen them in her bath water), and getting her poop tested by a vet for worms would be a good start.
It may be as simple as the flock was keeping her away from food. It's very subtle.
Keep in mind it probably took a long time for her to get like this and you can't solve it overnight.

Back
Top Bottom