Please help!

Jul 12, 2020
one of my quails was flying up and bashing her head on the roof of the enclosure she went into a corner and a couple hours later i noticed so black discharge out her eye just done night check and shes still sat in the corner shes moved to face the back now though. any help?

How tall is the enclosure they are in? Cages should be no more than a foot tall because otherwise quail can flush upwards in fright and cause themselves harm. Otherwise they need a tall aviary type situation where the roof is 6ft or more so that when they flush upwards they are slowing down by the time they hit the roof.

If she seems injured you could separate her for awhile so that she is not competing with the others. Put food and water near her and see how she goes. They are very tough little creatures and I've had quail come back from what seemed like the brink of death and fully recover with no special treatment.

How tall is the enclosure they are in? Cages should be no more than a foot tall because otherwise quail can flush upwards in fright and cause themselves harm. Otherwise they need a tall aviary type situation where the roof is 6ft or more so that when they flush upwards they are slowing down by the time they hit the roof.

If she seems injured you could separate her for awhile so that she is not competing with the others. Put food and water near her and see how she goes. They are very tough little creatures and I've had quail come back from what seemed like the brink of death and fully recover with no special treatment.
the enclosure is just a bit over a foot tall i seperated the other quail from her, hes been by her side since they both hatched shes got food next to her fingers crossed 🤞🏻

one of my quails was flying up and bashing her head on the roof of the enclosure she went into a corner and a couple hours later i noticed so black discharge out her eye just done night check and shes still sat in the corner shes moved to face the back now though. any help?
update: once i separated the male she was a lot calmer and this morning I went down and she was in the indoor part of the enclosure (still shut off from the male) i realised that the black discharge was actually blood! There was blood all over the enclosure so i shut her inside and deep cleaned her half of the enclosure. i’ve refilled her food and water as she ate most of the food last night so i would think thats a good sign. i think the male might of been bullying the female a little bit, but they have always been kind each other and would never be separated and if they were the male would get upset and crow as loud as he could but now he doesn't seem to care that shes not with him?

It's great that she's eating well. Hopefully she'll make a full recovery. They are incredibly tough little things.

It's likely the male is the cause of the damage as they can be very rough, especially if their advances are being rejected. Though hens can take to each other as well for whatever reason. Socially quail can be very frustrating! One minute all is peaceful, then the next it's a bloodbath.

Personality is inherited so if you do breed them keep the calmest birds and over time you end up with a peaceful group.

Back
Top Bottom