!!PLEASE HELP!!

No, their crops are all normal. I'll get pictures a little more into the evening, I can't find who I'm looking for at the moment, but ill keep looking, for the moment though I do have a picture of the bird in question, this was from yesterday. She looks about the same today, just more droopy.

Attachments

• 20200930_164808.jpg
    20200930_164808.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 23
No, their crops are all normal. I'll get pictures a little more into the evening, I can't find who I'm looking for at the moment, but ill keep looking, for the moment though I do have a picture of the bird in question, this was from yesterday. She looks about the same today, just more droopy.
Oh poor girl! She looks so sad.
Her comb is nice & bright & perky.
Is she still gasping?
If you are seeing dead worms in their poo I really wouldn’t rule out a worm burden. In my experience worm damage & worm toxicity can affect more than one hen, if you’ve got the climatic conditions for a healthy worm population in the environment & they all share that space free ranging, a heavy worm burden can sometimes strike surprisingly fast.
Did you worm them on the off chance or as part of a regular course or were you suspicious?

Last edited:
A few of them are laying, nothing has changed, though. The only thing I can think of is about a month ago, we changed their feed to mini pellets instead of crumble, but that's it. Could it have anything to do with long grass? My lawnmower broke a little while back, so I haven't been able to trim the grass, and it's gotten out of control. We still working on repairing it. In some spots, its well above the poor girls head.
Probably not. Mine love fresh grass clippings and I feed ours to them from our front yard which we push mow and have a bagger attachment with it. We save the clippings just for them and they get them immediately. It is good for them and the run. The seeds help to replenish the run and dry it out in wet damp areas if it has rained lately and the shavings have gotten damp. They love grass and will try to get outside to eat it.

That is one beauty of a bird.

Haha, I sit outside and picked grass for my girls, they really love it. I wormed them since I noticed a stray worm in one of their droppings. I was just sitting outside with them and I didn't see her gasp. From what I've seen she only really gasps when eating. She did seem a little brighter, she ate some grass I offered to her but overall not much of a change. I noticed her droppings look fine, though?

Hmmmmm.... tricksy!
I’m still voting worms..... but forgive me if I’m missing something being several thousands of miles away.

Free ranging hens are always at risk from whatever your local wild birds carry.

If you see worms in droppings you’ve got a worm burden. There simply is no doubt there. I completely support you there. I really cannot give you any advice on US meds... I can only ask that US members help you there re % dosages & what they are actually treating. Clearly we use the same active pharmacological compound in the uk, but on a very different protocol. I can only hope someone will respond comprehensively to what you are using and what it can be reliably used for in the US. I can do my best but I have no idea what is licensed for use in the US.

Soooo your girl doesn’t look anaemic - equally we have had a mad year climatically.... we have had peculiarly odd patterns across worms, parasites, fly strike across many species this year. I’ve had healthy animals down in hours.... its been an extraordinary year for parasites here. I have no idea how that translates to Texas.

My point is yes worms are possible across your entire flock. It is entirely possible for large numbers to be struck down with the same issue and in a short time frame. How widely do they free range? Have they found something tasty but grim? Your bird looks healthy ....this year we have had gapeworm here for the first time in over a decade... our affected girl looks contradictally good - bright red comb ect just like yours which would contraindicate worms but she’s floppy & sad and she “rattles” and gapes, but it’s taking time to clear the gapeworms from her system as we balance that with her health. We’ve got a worming protocol from our vet to tackle gapeworm in her and prevent it in our wider flock but it’s very different to a standard worming regime.

If you feel your girl is brighter maybe give the wormer time to run it’s treatment course & review? Keep up the t.l.c. & coaxing them on with treats and bring them through the course of wormer you have undertaken? But do you know which parasites that you are currently treating for are covered?

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.... tricksy!
I’m still voting worms..... but forgive me if I’m missing something being several thousands of miles away.

Free ranging hens are always at risk from whatever your local wild birds carry.

If you see worms in droppings you’ve got a worm burden. There simply is no doubt there. I completely support you there. I really cannot give you any advice on US meds... I can only ask that US members help you there re % dosages & what they are actually treating. Clearly we use the same active pharmacological compound in the uk, but on a very different protocol. I can only hope someone will respond comprehensively to what you are using and what it can be reliably used for in the US. I can do my best but I have no idea what is licensed for use in the US.

Soooo your girl doesn’t look anaemic - equally we have had a mad year climatically.... we have had peculiarly odd patterns across worms, parasites, fly strike across many species this year. I’ve had healthy animals down in hours.... its been an extraordinary year for parasites here. I have no idea how that translates to Texas.

My point is yes worms are possible across your entire flock. It is entirely possible for large numbers to be struck down with the same issue and in a short time frame. How widely do they free range? Have they found something tasty but grim? Your bird looks healthy ....this year we have had gapeworm here for the first time in over a decade... our affected girl looks contradictally good - bright red comb ect just like yours which would contraindicate worms but she’s floppy & sad and she “rattles” and gapes, but it’s taking time to clear the gapeworms from her system as we balance that with her health. We’ve got a worming protocol from our vet to tackle gapeworm in her and prevent it in our wider flock but it’s very different to a standard worming regime.

If you feel your girl is brighter maybe give the wormer time to run it’s treatment course & review? Keep up the t.l.c. & coaxing them on with treats and bring them through the course of wormer you have undertaken? But do you know which parasites that you are currently treating for are covered?
I continued treatment for tonight, shes still gasping but she's eating well, seemed a little better this evening. They have about 3 acres to free-range from 7 am to around 6-7 pm, and have access to food, water, etc.. Her breathing sounds OK though. From what I've heard, safeguard treats roundworm and tapeworm, but I've heard a few times it can treat gapeworm as well (not super sure about that, though..)

I've heard a few times it can treat gapeworm as well (not super sure about that, though..)
Dose for Fenbendazole is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.
Fenbendazole will treat Gapeworm and roundworms if you give the proper dosage as suggested back in post#13 (quoted above for your convenience).
Tapeworms would require Praziquantel.

Please get some photos of her poop and the worms.

She does not look well.
I would definitely check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to make sure her crop is empty/flat.
Feel her abdomen below the vent between the legs for any signs of bloat.

1601609718363.png

I can only ask that US members help you there re % dosages & what they are actually treating. Clearly we use the same active pharmacological compound in the uk, but on a very different protocol. I can only hope someone will respond comprehensively to what you are using and what it can be reliably used for in the US. I can do my best but I have no idea what is licensed for use in the US.
You keep asking about % well. The OP is using Safeguard. Safeguard is 10% that's in suspension or paste. Does that help?

Last edited:
Fenbendazole will treat Gapeworm and roundworms if you give the proper dosage as suggested back in post#13 (quoted above for your convenience).
Tapeworms would require Praziquantel.

Please get some photos of her poop and the worms.

She does not look well.
I would definitely check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to make sure her crop is empty/flat.
Feel her abdomen below the vent between the legs for any signs of bloat.

View attachment 2356778

You keep asking about % well. The OP is using Safeguard. Safeguard is 10% that's in suspension or paste. Does that help?
I got some pictures of the droppings I found this morning, I was hoping to see some improvement from her this morning, but she looks worse. Only about 5 of my 14 hens left to free-range this morning, the others stayed in the coop. I'm hoping it might be because it was colder this morning the usual that she looks sicker, but I doubt it :( shes still eating, though.

Attachments

• received_1242636292764327.jpeg
    received_1242636292764327.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 16
  • received_616195325717739.jpeg
    received_616195325717739.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom