!!PLEASE HELP!!

Birdlover85

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2020
My hen I've been watching for a few days now just keeps getting worse. It started with lethargy, then gasping, then refusing to drink, and just today shes even worse. Last night I brought her in and fed her water-soaked feed, and she ate it ok but every bite she would lift her head up and gasp. Today shes even more lethargic. She will eat but absolutely refuse to drink, I feel like I'm just watching her die. I gave her some electrolyte water via dropper this morning but it hasn't done much for her. I have no idea what to do, and I don't wanna overload her little system, as I was originally giving her dewormer. I've given her raw egg, boiled egg, etc. Everything I could think of to try to help, and I still only have a loose idea of what MIGHT be going on. I need help, advice, anything.

-she will eat, but won't drink
-I haven't seen her lay at all for a week+
-She has small, regular droppings.
-She very lethargic, just still with her neck pulled back and slightly up
-her comb is a good color, bright red
-I've given her electorates, eggs, feed, vitamins, and dewormer (over the past few days)
-Her flock mates are also lethargic, but not like this. they drink and eat OK, one of them is pretty lethargic like this though
-She's quite thin as well

She's 2-3 years old, barred rock. I gave her 3 ccs of safeguard in a gallon of water, I gave her some last night and a little this morning

It’s possible she’s reacting to toxicity caused by the death of the worms inside her. If she has a big worm burden that can cause a lot of dying decaying worms which she needs to pass out of her system as quickly as she can. If she’s eating keep the food flowing, same with her flock mates, that could be the cause of the lethargy you are describing in all of them. Feed them as much as they will happily eat. Sadly sometimes with a large worm burden you might loose the hen being treated. Sadly if the worm burden is that big the treatment can be kill or cure. If this is the case please understand it’s not the wormer that’s affecting her, it’s the dead decaying worms making her ill.
I’m not in the right part of the world to comment on Safeguard dosing. Whilst we do use fenbendazole in the UK it may not be the same percentage or dosage as in the US. I would be tempted to recommend completing the treatment if you are only part way through the course.

Keep feeding them all, they’ve got to pass those dead worms.

Last edited:
The gasping symptom could be her trying to eliminate gapeworms if she has them. Fenbendazole at the correct dose will treat this too. Hopefully someone more familiar with Safeguard will pop along and advise soon.
Always helps to show your location! It’s much easier for people to help you faster if you can let the forum know where in the world you are.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
TRY TO DO THIS QUICK!! Put her in a warm place, not warm enough to harm her. Give here water based foods like cucumber or melon, if that does not work try to blend vegetables and mix them with water. And the most important thing, DO NOT KEEP HERE WITH OTHER CHICKENS!! Keeping her with other chickens might spread the disease or whatever this problem is.

The gasping symptom could be her trying to eliminate gapeworms if she has them. Flubendazole at the correct dose will treat this too. Hopefully someone more familiar with Safeguard will pop along and advise soon.
Always helps to show your location! It’s much easier for people to help you faster if you can let the forum know where in the world you are.
Best of luck!
I'm in Texas, near the coast. Is there anything more I can do if that is the problem? or do I just have to hope for the best and wait it out?

It is an “if”!
You location helps if someone knows of a disease local to your area or for advising on meds.
“If” it is gapeworm & or just a big worm burden (you said she’s thin?) she’s got to get rid of those worms - feed her whatever she’ll eat & if she won’t drink then wet foods are best. Will she eat yoghurt?
Gapeworms live in the throat and cause “gaping” behaviour, so think soft wet squishy foods, easy to digest & pass through her system.

The dose for gapeworms with Safegaurd might be different to a routine treatment for roundworms ect.... I’m hoping someone from the US will be able to comment further & help you there

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom