Please help!!!

Oyster shell is a good source of calcium.

It does not help grind up the food they eat.

Granite grit goes into the gizzard and DOES grind up their food.

Any chance of ordering it on Amazon or something?
I found one but it ships feb18-march10 and it’s shipping is 15 bucks plus 6 bucks for the price

Ok, so how do I give them coconut oil?
And do u know how they got a squishy crop?
Is oyster shells good? Because the feed store like an hour away and it’s pretty inconvenient because of the pandemic.
Coconut oil you can just harden it in the fridge, break it up in chunks and then feed it to them - mine love coconut oil.

Crop issues can be from a number of things. Unable to process what they are being fed (too much fibrous material and insufficient grit), sometimes birds can have worms or reproductive issues as well.
Since you have more than 1 bird with similar symptoms - I would take a good guess that diet and insufficient grit may be part of your problem.

As mentioned previously, oyster shell is not suitable as grit - it's not hard enough to process food they are consuming. Do you have a feed store that you buy your layer feed from? They likely have grit.

I will try to find it on Amazon. How do I feed them granite grit?
I put it in a cage cup in each coop. However, you can just put it in a pile on the ground.
Any hard sharp stones of the right size will work. Mostly igneous rock. Flint works also.
Grits – TCC Materials
If the grit isn't large enough to lodge in the gizzard, it won't do the job.

Coconut oil you can just harden it in the fridge, break it up in chunks and then feed it to them - mine love coconut oil.

Crop issues can be from a number of things. Unable to process what they are being fed (too much fibrous material and insufficient grit), sometimes birds can have worms or reproductive issues as well.
Since you have more than 1 bird with similar symptoms - I would take a good guess that diet and insufficient grit may be part of your problem.

As mentioned previously, oyster shell is not suitable as grit - it's not hard enough to process food they are consuming. Do you have a feed store that you buy your layer feed from? They likely have grit.
I put it in a cage cup in each coop. However, you can just put it in a pile on the ground.
Any hard sharp stones of the right size will work. Mostly igneous rock. Flint works also.
Grits – TCC Materials
If the grit isn't large enough to lodge in the gizzard, it won't do the job.
Yes and also my chicken broke an egg and eating the raw eggs??! Is that bad for them?

No, that will not harm the chicken.

Of course, if you want to eat the eggs, you might not want them doing that very often :)
Okay thanks. Also my hens started eating coconut oil and some apple cider vinegar water and layer feed. Do u know what crop issue they have if their crop is squishy and just kinda going down

Do u know what crop issue they have if their crop is squishy and just kinda going down

It might be only half full, because they didn't eat a lot yet that day. Sometimes that does happen :)

If it's something else, then there are other people on here that know more than I do.

Would it would if I just get rocks that are crushed? Isn’t that what it is?

Yes, grit is small rocks.

Yes, you can just give the chickens some dirt/sand/gravel that's a mix of sizes, and they can pick the right ones for themselves.

Some people just dig up a shovelful from the ground (but that might be hard in the wintertime, if the ground is frozen.)

It might be only half full, because they didn't eat a lot yet that day. Sometimes that does happen :)

If it's something else, then there are other people on here that know more than I do.

Yes, grit is small rocks.

Yes, you can just give the chickens some dirt/sand/gravel that's a mix of sizes, and they can pick the right ones for themselves.

Some people just dig up a shovelful from the ground (but that might be hard in the wintertime, if the ground is frozen.)
We have big rocks but they aren’t crushed. I also soil like for plants would that work

Back
Top Bottom