Please help

laureng212

Hatching
Jul 20, 2023
I have two 8 day old ducklings, but today one started having random burst, these burst start with her loudly chirping, sounds like shes in pain, then she begins to move sporadically, and her neck and head begin to twitch weirdly. the first one happened around 5 today, then the next at 9, then they began to happen more frequently amd from 9-10 she had three of these bursts. Afterwards, she goes back to noramal. Please help me know what this is so i can help her in some way.

If they are seizures, it could be a niacin deficiency. We had this in one of our ducklings... at 11pm when everything was closed. He had 3 seizures a few hours apart - one loud scared peep and stretched out his entire body, eyes dialated and completely stiff. We thought he died. But he'd come out if it incredibly weak.

We bought capsules of niacin at the 24hr pharmacy, cracked one capsule open, and poured a tiny sprinkle in a small, shallow dish. We held him and fed him by hand because he was so weak. He drank it all (we crushed part of a dried mealworm into dust, too, to coax him). We did this 3x about 1hr apart. It stopped the seizures and he's been fine ever since (we changed his diet to one with more niacin and gave him nutridrench in his water). Now he's a healthy runner duck, 1.5yrs old.

We were brand new duck owners then (we're 1.5 years in, now, and still learning every day).

I have two 8 day old ducklings, but today one started having random burst, these burst start with her loudly chirping, sounds like shes in pain, then she begins to move sporadically, and her neck and head begin to twitch weirdly. the first one happened around 5 today, then the next at 9, then they began to happen more frequently amd from 9-10 she had three of these bursts. Afterwards, she goes back to noramal. Please help me know what this is so i can help her in some way.
If they are seizures, it could be a niacin deficiency. We had this in one of our ducklings... at 11pm when everything was closed. He had 3 seizures a few hours apart - one loud scared peep and stretched out his entire body, eyes dialated and completely stiff. We thought he died. But he'd come out if it incredibly weak.

We bought capsules of niacin at the 24hr pharmacy, cracked one capsule open, and poured a tiny sprinkle in a small, shallow dish. We held him and fed him by hand because he was so weak. He drank it all (we crushed part of a dried mealworm into dust, too, to coax him). We did this 3x about 1hr apart. It stopped the seizures and he's been fine ever since (we changed his diet to one with more niacin and gave him nutridrench in his water). Now he's a healthy runner duck, 1.5yrs old.

We were brand new duck owners then (we're 1.5 years in, now, and still learning every day).

It’s important to remember the niacin needs to be given everyday until at least 10-12 weeks old. This is when they are growing the fastest. Some breeds will need to be supplemented their whole lives Pekins one of them. My flock gets Nutritional yeast on their feed everyday.

Back
Top Bottom