Please help

SEC_Girl

Chirping
Aug 11, 2023
My Golden 300 hen has been sick for 2 weeks however, the past 3 days she's seemed ok during the day although still not eating much at all and more tired than normal. At night when I put them up she is all of a sudden Very unstable, can hardly walk straight and uses her wings for balance.

We will need more info to try and help - how old is she, what is her diet, what does her poop look like, have you had a fecal float test done to check for worms, are you aware of any issues like mites or lice, is her crop emptying at night, has it been excessively hot where you are, have you recently introduced any new flock members where she could have been exposed to something? You said she's been sick for 2 weeks - how did her symptoms start and progress. Any other details that might give some help in narrowing down what might be wrong.

We will need more info to try and help - how old is she, what is her diet, what does her poop look like, have you had a fecal float test done to check for worms, are you aware of any issues like mites or lice, is her crop emptying at night, has it been excessively hot where you are, have you recently introduced any new flock members where she could have been exposed to something? You said she's been sick for 2 weeks - how did her symptoms start and progress. Any other details that might give some help in narrowing down what might be wrong.
She pooped yolk once, 2 weeks ago and stopped laying eggs, she became swollen and lethargic. I took her to the vet and we did a round of antibiotics. She seemed to be getting better until 3 days ago. The only thing I could get her to eat were real worms but today she didn't seem interested in that. Like I say, she seems much better all day and then early evening this happens.

She pooped yolk once, 2 weeks ago and stopped laying eggs, she became swollen and lethargic. I took her to the vet and we did a round of antibiotics. She seemed to be getting better until 3 days ago. The only thing I could get her to eat were real worms but today she didn't seem interested in that. Like I say, she seems much better all day and then early evening this happens.
Also, starting yesterday she will put a worm in her mouth, shake her head a bit and then not eat it.

Please provide some more information so we can help you-

You went to the vet and got antibiotics.
- what was the diagnosis?
- what was the antibiotic prescribed?
- how long was the antibiotic supposed to be given/ how long has she been on it?

How old is she?

What kind of duck is she?

What are you feeding as her main food?

Does she have free access to grit and oyster shell?

How frequently do you offer treats (besides the worms)/ what, if any?

....did the vet do a fecal float?

How is her poop?

How does her crop feel?
Any funny smells from her mouth?

She isn’t eating well, but.
Is she drinking/ bathing? Preening/ grooming herself?

Is she with other ducks?
If so, how is everyone else doing?

If you can help with these questions, I would hope that @Miss Lydia @New duck mommy 2021 , myself, or someone that they tag in might be able to offer some thoughts...

I would think the infection maybe not have left
She may need a different round
What kind was she on ?
Also if all she has eaten is meal worms for weeks she will be more weak and nutritional would be depleted
If a vet is an option I would get her back in asap

I would think the infection maybe not have left
She may need a different round
What kind was she on ?
Also if all she has eaten is meal worms for weeks she will be more weak and nutritional would be depleted
If a vet is an option I would get her back in asap
She was on amoxicillin. Her poop is clear worth some green but very mucousy. I'm gonna call the vet tomorrow. Just thought someone here might have experienced this.

Back
Top Bottom