PLEASE HELP

she is only 7 months old. I have neosporin with the pain relief. What about peroxide? I woud go out and get something but we just got over 6 inches of snow and ice is coming down now.

I would NOT use the peroxide--I have heard that it should not be used on any wound, human OR animal because it damages good tissue as much as it kills germs.

Just was gently with warm water and a little soap--allowing the soap to stay for two minutes (120 seconds), and then rinse. SKIP the peroxide!

Pat dry with a clean towel and gently blow dry, if possible. Then apply the neosporin.

---------------

Are you certain that the vent is clear? If not, check that before the gentle washing.

Last edited:
I have heard mixed messages about the Neosporin with pain relief (the last time I researched it was treating my dog for a wound). The best information that I found said that it was fine to use, at least for the dog.

I would go ahead and use it rather than risking life and limb going out to get something else. It is probably fine, and it is better to try to prevent an infection from happening by using it rather than not.

Do not use the neosporin if it has pain reliever in it. Not good for chickens. You can use a solution of 50% peroxide, 50% water. Or iodine. Triple antibiotic ointment is good if you have that. Feed her scrambled eggs for protein, helps healing.

The following site states that the painkiller used in Neosporin (Pramoxine HCl) is acceptable for chickens. Assuming that it isn't lydocaine (or any of the associated 'caine's), don't drive out in the snow and ice and get anything different.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Again, I would NEVER use peroxide, on my chickens, on my horse, on my dog or cat, or on my daughter.

-

I am just saying, we use the 50% solution in the hospital on patients , so I am sure it is not going to hurt his chicken unless he uses it straight out of the bottle. Rather than use nothing or go driving in a storm.
wink.png

I'm in the no 'caine boat, use soap and water, feed electrolytes if you have them just to keep he boosted. I had a hen recover from this just fine. She grew into adulthood and figured it all out.

Defenately keep her sepetated, the others wont let her heal if they see he bum. Good luck!!

Thank you everyone. We used neosporin on her till my order comes in. She is eating and drinking and we have her inside in a crate. We covered the crate but we don't know if we should keep her in the dark so she won't lay or take the cover off during the day? We still can't figure out how she got that wound. We only have 3 chickens and my husband built everything big enough for 6. Any thoughts?

Sure wish I could help...I have had chickens get into bad messes but have not seen anything like that! It almost looks like she "wore" the skin right off! I have never seen a chicken scooting along like that though...funny picture in my mind--sorry! Perhaps the others decided to pick at her and made it get like that? If she is eating and drinking OK she should come out of it fine; the trick will be reintroducing her to the rest of your flock! You might have a house chicken all winter. Good luck! Oh yeah, that sac thing was maybe a soft shelled egg? Is she a production bird of some kind? Red star, production red, comet--like that? They do seem to have their share of troubles around a year old...Terri O

Back
Top Bottom