PLEASE HELP

Splinty

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
New York
I'm new to chickens so I really need some help. Today my BO was laying in the dirt, not moving so I removed her from the pen and saw some blood. I started looking up some info on here and I thought maybe she was eggbound so we put her in the tub with warm water. We can't feel anything hard near her vent. In the picture, the red bulb is very soft. Her vent is compleatly clean and puckering. We don't know what else to do. I think the other 2 hens were pecking at her bottom and the skin around there seams torn. Any help is very much appreciated. Thank You!

Anybody? I don't know what to do. She's just laying here in a crate not eating or drinking and I'm worried.

we have her in a crate in our house and she laid an egg. I don't think she is blocked in her vent but we have no idea what is wrong with her. does anyone have any ideas?

I would treat the large wound with Blu-Kote and keep her seperated from the other chickens till she healed up. Chickens heal really quickly and well, most of the time from what I've seen.
Good Luck with her.

I am new to chickens, but I would seriously think giving her something like save a chick or some type of sugar water/electrolytes, might help her to start eating and drinking again. Hope you get more suggestions.

How old is the hen? I have a couple books that deal with poultry that I'll try to look things up on, but I rarely in my seven years with chickens I have rarely dealt with injuries and thus have very little experience with them.

You can use Neosporin, as long as there is not a pain killer in it. I would dissolve an aspirin in water with some sugar and vitamins and give it to her with a dropper. Keep her warm. She may have been egg bound. Keep her separate until she heals. good luck.

I found this thread, that suggests there could be the broken remnants of an egg in the vent. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/573129/little-lady-acting-sickly-with-broken-unformed-egg-help

The white sac sounds like the membrane of the egg, which forms just beneath the shell.

Something is definately going improperly in the egg-formation process.

Can you separate the hen from the others, and give her warm comfortable conditions for her to try to recuperate?

If there is a wound, I would certainly go ahead and try to use the Neosporin after you clean and rinse the wound.

Back
Top Bottom