please help......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happyfeet, Oct 26, 2008.

1. happyfeet

happyfeet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2007
    How do i detour my chickens from crossing the road?

We live in the country, which i thought would not be a problem if we had chickens that free ranged, and my chickens keep crossing the road. We had a lovely visit from the police today and they said that if my chickens even go near the road (which is a back road) they will confiscate them and destroy them. Good luck to them, because my rooster takes a few hens with him on his little journeys. My rooster is the meanest rooster i have ever known and he will attack anybody that comes within 20 feet of him or his ladies. i just dont have the heart to kill him. So my dillema is how do i keep them out of the road with out penning them up. i just hate things locked up and i hope there is a way they can still free range. They have 6 acres to run and they think the grass is greener on the other side!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I'm having the same problem BUT without the police. We live out in the country on a gravel road and I worry that they may get run over. I too, want to hear if anyone has a solution besides the invisible dog wire. Anyone??

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I found that a 3 ft high plastic mesh will keep the girls in the 1/2 acre that they have access to. So fence around your property where you want them to stay. Good luck!

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Keep the rooster in the pen and let the hens out. They will stay near where the roo is instead of going on the road

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

penning is it. its up to you to keep them safe,,, and chickens LOVE the road,, bugs, gravel,,, pen em is the only answer i know of.

6. happyfeet

happyfeet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2007
    i have tried the rooster idea. my hens love him and obey his every command when he is around. i do seperate him for about a week every month to give my girls a break, which is a MAJOR chore in itself, and they still bum around with out him. i must have very independent hens????

7. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Well then, I agree with 1 much..pen them all maybe after they are penned for a while they will stay closer to the coop when let out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by