please help......

happyfeet

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 24, 2007
How do i detour my chickens from crossing the road?

We live in the country, which i thought would not be a problem if we had chickens that free ranged, and my chickens keep crossing the road. We had a lovely visit from the police today and they said that if my chickens even go near the road (which is a back road) they will confiscate them and destroy them. Good luck to them, because my rooster takes a few hens with him on his little journeys. My rooster is the meanest rooster i have ever known and he will attack anybody that comes within 20 feet of him or his ladies. i just dont have the heart to kill him. So my dillema is how do i keep them out of the road with out penning them up. i just hate things locked up and i hope there is a way they can still free range. They have 6 acres to run and they think the grass is greener on the other side!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm having the same problem BUT without the police. We live out in the country on a gravel road and I worry that they may get run over. I too, want to hear if anyone has a solution besides the invisible dog wire. Anyone??

I found that a 3 ft high plastic mesh will keep the girls in the 1/2 acre that they have access to. So fence around your property where you want them to stay. Good luck!

i have tried the rooster idea. my hens love him and obey his every command when he is around. i do seperate him for about a week every month to give my girls a break, which is a MAJOR chore in itself, and they still bum around with out him. i must have very independent hens????

Back
Top Bottom