PLEASE I must set this AM! Is 60 degree room OK? says 70 or greater

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newbiechickenowner, Mar 9, 2011.

1. newbiechickenowner

newbiechickenowner Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    Please answer as quickly as possible...my eggs are now getting old. I got in the hovobater (delayed due to storm here) and I set it last night and it is in our large closet, where it is safest, but, it is 60 degrees in the closet. DOES ANYONE ELSE USE THEIR INCUBATOR IN A ROOM THAT IS CONSISTENTLY 60 OR COLD? The box says that it should be in a room 70 to 80 degrees, but, it is up to 100 degrees in the incubator and I would really like to use this room as it is the safest away from the cats, kids flying toys, noise [​IMG] etc. As long as it stays at 60 and I got the incubator up to 100 (99.5), have others done this safely? PLEASE REPORT...>THANKS SO MUCH!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    As long as the temp in the incubator is stable it doesn't really matter what the room temp is. Have fun!

3. kvmommy

kvmommy Songster

Jan 2, 2011
    My room is usually 60 degrees or so, no problems with it...only when it fluctuates I have problems.

4. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    Thank you.! I am SO NERVOUS! I am a wreck! I have researched and researched and thought I thought of everything and NOT SO MUCH! Keep having a million questions. I just don't want to screw it up! Thanks for the support.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I keep my incubators in our unheated basement so it's 50 or so degrees in it and it's not a problem. Like someone else said stable room temps are more important.

6. latebloomer

latebloomer Songster

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    hang in there
    it's a bumpy ride for us newbies

7. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    I love your quote about mondays! It is like that...every day is the "same" when you have animals to tend to [​IMG] Thanks for the response!

8. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    I'm so glad you asked that. I was wondering the same thing. My basement I by far the safest place and is about 60. Hoping to be starting in about a week.

9. enggass

enggass Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Mine is in my basement where it averages 60ยบ.

10. tandersphoenix

tandersphoenix Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    I don't think you need to do this BUT, At one point where we lived the only place I had to incubate was in a cellar under the house. Temps didn't fluctuate too bad but it was cold, for early hatching sometimes would freeze down there. I piled blankets on top of the incubator to help insulate it and I still had good hatches. Like everyone has said as long as you can hold temp you should be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: