Please Judge My Cuckoo Lavender Orpington!!!

drjcooper

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Utah
First I understand that his color disqualifies him for exhibition. We are using him in a breeding project with pure Lavender Orpingtons as we find it attractive to have faint stripes in the lavender Orps. It simply gives them a little more flare. As many of us know then Lavender orpington is still a project bird. We want them to have the same color as a standard orpington with the beautiful pearl gray color. Anyway, this boy is just part of our project he is a cuckoo lavender Orpington. His baring is very lavender, however, pretend he is buff in color. I would invite those familiar in exhibition to give me an honest impression of what you thing of this rooster. Be honest the birds are more important than my feelings
[/IMG][/B][/IMG]

Perhaps, these are not the best pictures for judging. I guess just do your best if you want to play along :)

There's nothing wrong with the pictures. I know you say you can take critical comments but as a general rule many here can't. They tend to treat critical comments about chickens as personal attacks.
Your bird has very poor Orpington type. He's not full enough in the breast & he lacks the body depth he should have.His tail angle is much too high & the shape of his tail is wrong-again lacks fullness. Because he's high in front & back it makes him appear short bodied & it makes him appear longer legged than he should be. His head is narrow & his comb is kind of course. the comb is a minor problem. Being Buff wouldn't help him a bit.
BTW-his colour doesn't disqualify him for exhibition at all.

Not offended at all. Educated opinions are what I am requesting.
What was trying to say is that most Lavender variety birds are still in the project stage. Most are not equal to the buffs, however we are working on it. It will take some time. You indicated that the coloring would not alone would not eliminate the bird from exhibition. However, lavender or cuckoo lavender is not yet recognized color in the USA. Am not correct?

Not offended at all. Educated opinions are what I am requesting.
What was trying to say is that most Lavender variety birds are still in the project stage. Most are not equal to the buffs, however we are working on it. It will take some time. You indicated that the coloring would not alone would not eliminate the bird from exhibition. However, lavender or cuckoo lavender is not yet recognized color in the USA. Am not correct?

No, they're not recognized varieties but they can still be shown. Before any variety is recognized it is first shown as a non-recognized variety.

It makes no difference that he's six months old. He just doesn't have Orpington type. There's an old adage in poultry breeding:"you have to build the barn before you paint it". Meaning of course, type comes before colour. Many beginning breeders & certainly the majority here, can't see past colour which is why they never become real breeders. No offense but if this bird was Buff you'd be thinking of showing him because you don't really know the breed. There's this fever on this site to have some new, unusual coloured bird. Again, an obsession with colour & no attention to type. Frankly I'm surprised 20 people didn't tell you how beautiful your bird is.
Do you really want to breed Orpingtons? Then learn the breed first. I bet you don't own a Standard do you? If you want to breed you need one. In fact that's the first thing a prospective breeder should buy-before their first chicken.
I bought my first Standard in 1961. It was a 1958 edition-I still have it. I studied that book for several months before I bought my first pure bred birds: a trio of Black Rosecombs. I bought them from an ABA Judge & I spent all morning at his place picking the trio I wanted out of a pen of 50 or so young birds. The point being I knew Rosecombs when I bought those birds.

Back
Top Bottom