Please learn from someone else's dumb mistake!

Hens_And_Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Ohio
Whatever you do this spring, don't burn off your hillsides and dry brush!

I am so mad tonight - DH decided to burn the roadside hill - the only problem is that he didn't anticipate how dry everything is since we have not had rain for at least 10 days - the pine tree caught fire right beside the utility pole that has the cable/phone/internet wires on it and burned it up. (I did not have a clue he was going to do this - he never said a word to me)

While he's out there trying to beat the fire down - I'm calling the fire department and then rushing buckets of water and a shovel to the scene and dousing the flames.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - I come back in and call the electric company and the cable company - the fire department responds and determines the fire is out without doing anything at all. The cable company comes and sits for an hour - they won't touch the pole until the electric company comes and deems it safe. The electric company finally shows up and says it's safe to proceed for temp repairs - they will decide later this week if the pole has to be replaced. The cable guy just left (after 4 hours).

Guess who's paying the bill?

We just booked the timeshare, just booked the flights that are non refundable and he just ordered brand new contacts yesterday. My insurance deductible is $1000 and I just emptied the savings account to pay the property taxes. I just took the tax return and bought building materials to repair and paint the barn and paid off all but $800 of a car loan. Can we say broke?

I'm not whining. Really I'm not.

Please... try to learn from someone else's (expensive) mistake! And guess who's been moping around tonight because there ain't nobody to blame but himself? (That would not be me!)

OMG! My dad did that when I was a kid! My mom was
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
Thankfully it didn't go as far as your DH's stunt! He got it out before the FD came and there wasn't any extra damage.

Bet he won't do that again! I know my dad never did!
gig.gif

thats very interesting, there have been more fire calls in the past two weeks on ''controlled'' burns that go wrong....than i can ever remember there being....thanks for venting..thats what we are here for
smile.png

OMG that could have been us! The hired man decided to burn a few boxes and a minute later I looked out and he was doing the "mexican hat dance" stomping out flames!
I swear his mother must have dropped him on his head when he was a baby!

Go ahead and whine.

When you play with fire, sometimes you get burnt...
hide.gif
... not what you wanted to hear... but something you can say to DH.

"I'm not stupid, everyone else is just smarter than me.

How terrible.

It's not legal where my parents live to even have a campfire (in the summer). So my determined step-dad dug a round pit four feet into the ground, and about three feet from side to side. Cinder blocks form the "walls" and he covered the pit with a metal mesh of some sort. The ground two feet around the edge is sand, to prevent sparks from igniting dry grass.

I'm lucky that he puts his energy into something constructive, because if he didn't I'm sure we'd be far worse off than you are.
lau.gif

I'm not having to say a word. For one, he knows how stupid and costly his choice was and he can't lay blame to anyone else - the other thing - if I were to say one word - it would spark a fight bigger than the flames outside tonight and the damage would not be quite so easy to fix.

After 22 years, a girl learns when to pick a fight and when to walk away. Most of the time, I just walk away - it ain't worth it.

Sorry to hear that. Pricey mistake, but be glad that no more damage was done. Here in Southern California you certainly would have to face more charges. A neighbor had to pay a big fine last year, because he caused a small brush fire with a weed wacker. Intentionally or not, very sensitive issue here, because of our wild fire history. Hope it will work out for you guys....

Thanks Hens_And_Chicks, Now I have a goal to shoot for.
roll.png

I'd cut you DH some slack, just an "accident", not an "on-purpose". He's probably feeling pretty dumb and will appreciate some support. At least nobody was hurt, and you'll have the best story for years to come.

Imp-you'll laugh about this one day
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom