Please: Need advice!

Yes - they free range until sundown. Our yard is about 50' x 50', with lots of grass, a garden, and a deck. Mu husband constantly struggles to keep them off the deck - man vs. chicken poop. At sundown all three girls march to the coop and perch. If I have to run errands, then I lock them up in the coop. They are none too pleased about that! But I always notice that they've settled down and are quiet by the time I get home.

Quote:
Isn't that strange? He says "all that green grass and they insist on coming onto the patio." It definitely is a constant battle. If it were my place I'd just have a makeshift fence to keep them off, but it's his place and he thinks that would be ghetto. Maybe, but effective!

Quote:
Thanks. Not having any carpentry apptitude, I hope I can figure out their application. But I'll certainly look into it. If it worked it could potentially solve (almost) all of my problems! Thanks!

For what it is worth, I notice my Seabrights are very quiet. The are very mellow and just hear little clucks and chirps from them. They are not real affectionate to me but are just nice little girls. The OE BB's are pretty quiet, except for the roo. But bear in mind, they are still young, about 24 weeks so that could change.
Maybe someone with experience can tell you if Bantams are quieter. The SO maybe a little more tolerate of a smaller bird.

Nccatnip, what are OE BBs? Is that a bantam too? I have read bantams are on the mellow side compared to most standards, but since I keep chickens for pets AND eggs, I don't think that would work for me. I'd have to keep a lot of chickens to get enough eggs!

Smaller doesnt always mean quieter tho. I was surprised when I went to the county fair, those lil roos and some of the hens even made SO much noise for lil boogers!
gig.gif

biretta, I forgot to say that altho I live on a very busy street, my situation is much like yours, I used to let mine out all the time when I was outside, then started putting them in the pen when I finally got it finished, they were quite big when that happened. lol

Even tho my noisy girl is fairly quiet, I DO let them out about an hour to 1/2 hour in the eve every night before their bedtime, and now my silly red x link stand there and ruuuuuaakkkks until I let her out. She probably begins at about 5:30, she is out there trying to get me out right now. If we were in a REAL quiet neighborhood, I might notice it more, but it sure wouldnt be noticeable to the neighbors. And yes, I DO think they learn from each other, what gets you out there.

If they have distractions, it helps a lot, let me tell you. Any way you can build them a tractor, to put it on fresh grass every other day or so, shouldnt hurt the grass if you move it every day, and it keeps them occupied. Sometimes hanging an apple, or cabbage or somethin for them to peck at, also occupies them. They really do get bored, especially if they are some of the smarter ones. I think boredom is one of the reasons they want out so bad.

Last edited:
thndrdancr, I will consider the tractor. I guess I never considered that because I am thinking that they just want more space, rather than simply *new* space. Guess it's worth a try if I can somehow throw one together. In the meantime I'll try hanging something too. I just bought some ears of corn for them. I did actually try putting strips of sod in there but they didn't pay much attention to them.

my EE is very loud - i dont worry about the neighbors at all. i had a roo - and i couldnt care less what they thought - i ended getting rid of him in the end, but i didnt care about my neighbors - since they generate a lot more sound than my old rooster, and my pullets. on one side i have 2 young girls, and soon to be a baby. they are ALWAYS yelling at each other - actually, its kind of funny, but very very very loud and obnoxious. behind us, there is an elderly lady, who always has to have a dog - which she lets run loose, she doesnt take care of it so there is a new dog every couple months because it gots lost or ran over - she chooses the loudest dogs. on the other side, there are my neighbors who have like 8 cats, that are always fighting - whether it be with each other or a new cat. and on the other side - they are very nice and tolerable. i let mine free range and they only sqwak with cats or if i hold one and not the other.

As infuriating as your neighbors are, it sounds like the perfect chicken neighborhood.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom