Please need help fast!

5cutechicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 22, 2014
Lowell Michigan
My 2 year old Rhode Island island is loosing feathers, handfuls at a time. Shes in a enclosed coop with a covered run no ther chickens with her but have 6 silkies next to her. Went to feed/water her this a.m. And there are tons of feathers everywhere and I picked her up and she is molting but wow! Feathers just fall all over when you pet her! I hope I didn't do something that hurt her! We live in michigan and its been cold 10s 20s so I read to give crushed red pepper in there food so I've been doing that and added nurti drench a few drops to her water. I've been cooking her eggs for breakfast and she's been eating all normal chicken food except the last 2 days we've been giving her medicated crumble because our feed store ran out of food. She's also had apple cider vinegar crumble and molasses a mash for the last few days too! She seems to be crouching a bit when she walks, she's gone through a molt before but not like this. It's also warmed back up to high 40s! Don't know what to do she's just not herself! Please any help! ( hope I didn't post this twice having trouble). Also she hasn't laid an ehh in over a week, I thought it was the change in weather! I also think her comb/wattles aren't as pretty red as they usually are!

Last edited:
Sometimes when hens go through their second molt, the molt can be described as a 'heavy' molt, meaning all their feathers fall out at the same time. I have a rooster that does this every fall. He is almost completely naked, with thousands of quills all over him. Now is a good time to worm her and supply more protein for fast feather growth. As long as she is eating enough to keep her crop full and drinking plenty of water, she will be fine.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, I've been just frantic trying to read up on what could be going on. I thought she was sick! I had no idea they could loose so many feathers over night. I got her some special feather helper food with extra protien last night and I make her a scrambled egg every morning. Im so worried its going to get cold again this week! Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom