1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please please help me. Mareks question, *ASAP*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaitlyn_rae2003, Jul 17, 2011.

1. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I just bought 4 one week old chicks who were vaccinated for mareks. My brooder has 9 chicks who are 2 weeks old and not vaccinated. The brooder top is not very high, and 3 jumped over, right into the pen that has the new vaccinated chicks in it. I am terrified and I have no clue what to do. I did not think I could mix them together. Is this as bad as I think it is? will my 3 non vaccinated chicks now be infected? Where should I keep them? put them back where they belong? or leave them where they ended up? I know this is all due to my error and I am so mad at myself. Is there any hope?

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    This is just from my recent research, and decision to start vaccinating....
    Mareks is everywhere.....it is spread by bird dander, through the air.
    A newly vaccinated chick takes 2 weeks to develop an immunity to Mareks; that's one of the reasons they're kept separate. I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe the vaccinated chicks are already shedding the Mareks virus through their dander......therefore.....your unvaccinated chicks have been exposed

3. kaitlyn_rae2003

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    so what should I do [​IMG]

4. kaitlyn_rae2003

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Please if anyone has any insight as to whether or not I should keep the chicks apart, and if so, for how long? Can I put the ones who jumped out back where they belong? I hate this marek's disease so much. what a nuisance!!

5. kaitlyn_rae2003

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    sorry to bump but my searches have not really helped put my mind at ease, or given me a plan of action!

6. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

First, calm down. Your exposure is a GOOD thing. They will more than likely build up an immunity to it if exposed at this young age. I had week old chicks in the house with a chicken who was afflicted with Mareks. (We didn't know that's what she had at the time and took her into the house to feed hand feed her). The chicks we had were both vaccinated and vaccinated put in together. Today, they are 18 weeks old. Our vet, who put down the Mareks bird and a state university vet all said the minute exposure was actually good for the chicks. Some people will raise turkey poults with chicks because turkeys get their own form of Mareks and they believe it helps the chickens build an immunity to the poultry version of Mareks.

Mareks IS horrible, so I can understand your worry. But at this age, and considering my experience and the advice of other advanced bird people, your chicks will be fine. Raise them together if you want, or separately if it makes you feel better. But sounds like the exposure would have already happened.

I'll share what I was told about mixing chicks: The likelihood of an unvaccinated chick contracting the disease from being with a vaccinated chick, is the same percentage as chicks who catch the disease FROM the vaccination. So basically, the odds are in your favor.

Breathe, enjoy your babies and keep their stress levels to a minimum...that means a more relaxed you. [​IMG]

7. kaitlyn_rae2003

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    THANK YOU so much!!!!!!![​IMG] best news ever! phew! I have just been so nervous!!! what a huge relief! I really appreciate your reply! Made my whole night!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by