Please Post Your Pics Of Landscaping Around Your Coop.

If you haven't seen this book already, you MUST take a peek! It's fantastic! "Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard" by Jessi Bloom (Timber Press). It just came out last month. It lists plants safe to have with chickens and breaks it down into herbs, shrubs, nut trees, vines, greens, etc. AND toxic plants NOT to have with chickens. Plants for fragrance. Plants for noise barriers (if you have noisy chickens and close neighbors). It has sample yard layouts. Lots of nice pictures. I'm new to the chicken adventure and this book is just what I was looking for the landscape aspect. It also covers fencing, coop design, predators, etc but I haven't found the details on "plants and chickens" anywhere else. I checked it out at the library and am buying my own copy for my new chicken book collection as it's a good one to have at your fingertips. :) Happy planting everyone!

thanks for the tip!

Ours is still a work in progress. We added the perimeter fence to keep the dogs from running up on them, it was a game to my girl Shepherd. Added some flower boxes to put annuals in. Soon we should be able to add new ones.

Was thinking on grapes up the left side, and sunflowers down the front, inside the fence but outside the runs.

We have some big projects going in the yard, a raised garden around the back half of the fire pit, pine trees along the back fence with a short retaining wall, walkway need to be finished but it's about there. Drainage was first, that's been a big improvement.

This was last year...

Oooh, what a great thread! Here are some pics of the flower boxes around my coop. I entered a chicken coop contest arranged by the NH Farm Bureau this year, and our coop won the 'People's Choice' award! These are the photos I added captions to for entry in the contest.

The coop is right next to the garden so in summer the chickens are garden helpers!

"7L Farm"...
IS THAT A GIANT, WHITE ROO AT THE END OF YOUR ROWS?! Talk about a scare crow!
HA!!! If so, he has a good looking spread to watch over.
Gives a completly different meanting to "Chickens in the garden"!

Still brown, the raised gardens (yes there are two there) will have mulch around them, the right side of the coop will have a small raised flower bed going the length of the run.

Back
Top Bottom