Please pray for me. The second goat has died

bargain

Love God, Hubby & farm
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Bowdon, GA
We had a beautiful goat ( adult female) named Jasmine who passed away overnight. Many of you may remember Scarlett, our first goat who died of milk fever.

She gave birth 19 days ago to a beautiful baby girl named Jackie.

Jasmine was a firast time freshner and after one week of milking, she developed mastititis....After meds it cleared up,. Then yesterday at noon, I noticed hard utters and the mastitis test came out that she had it again.

At 4:00 we gave her the intra tit meds and saw her and fed her at 7:pm and then at 7:00 am this morning she expired.

She had a good single child birth. Do goats die of mastitis? SHould I try to find some one for an autopsy on Saturday am.

I dont' know what to do?

THanks.

oh how how heart breaking ! I am so sorry for your loss.
maybe from untreated mastitis but I have never heard of mastitis thats being treated killing an animal ,
sounds like there might have been an underlying issue. infection.

You can do a rough necropsy and save some money , you will be looking for anything out of the ordinary,, such as blocked intestines, stomach. tears in the walls of the heart, etc etc It takes practice and a good book on normal looking internals of a goat but worth the effort.

Oh that's just heartbreaking to hear. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but I'm sure Kate (Helmstead) might have some insight on the subject.
hugs.gif

Quote:
What exactly did you give and how?

So sorry for your loss...two does this close together is very suspect, I would have a necropsy done.

Gypsy - "rough necropsies" aren't real good ideas, esp when you might be dealing with something infectious. JMO

Quote:
What exactly did you give and how?

So sorry for your loss...two does this close together is very suspect, I would have a necropsy done.

Gypsy - "rough necropsies" aren't real good ideas, esp when you might be dealing with something infectious. JMO

Very true , sorry wasnt even thinking .

Injecting antibiotics is better than infusing them through the orifice in the teat. I know lots of websites say to infuse them, but vets always say inject IM. Mastitis can become septicemia if antibiotics are not used to clear it. If it spread out of the udder, then she could have easily died from the infection. Localized antibiotics would not have helped. She needed to have them injected.
I just treated one of my goats for mastitis. My vet used injections. He said the infusions just spread the infection deeper, and do not help.

I am so sorry you lost your goat.

I wish I had a good vet. Thanks I'll do im next time and skip the tet medicine.

Just got back from milking. I wouldn't go in the barn until hubby checked to see everyone is okay.

Thanks for all the info and support. Anyone know an animal vet in west ga? or ga?
that knows anything about GOats.

I'm living at dairy goat info, fiasco farms and here and merck's on line vet line.

Back
Top Bottom