Please Read! Bromethrin Rat Poison Warning!

Just a thought on your hen - if rodents, or even insects, did get into the poison, and they died elsewhere, a lot of poisons have a 'kill life'. If she found a mouse or bug that had been poisoned and died, and she ate it, she could be what's called a 'secondary kill'. There are some poisons that have no limit on their kill life. What eats them dies, what eats those dead bodies, dies, what eats those dead bodies dies.... it just keeps going on and on. I know they tested a poison in the Northwest US decades ago to help control an invasive species... and they're still finding animals dying from it, last I heard.

I am so sorry! :hugs:hit I will keep you and the remaining four in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank you so much, I honestly appreciate it. I made this thread concerned for the health of my other chickens and instead it's my cats that got the worst of it. Nothing good came out of this, but at least there will be no more poison on the place.

Just a thought on your hen - if rodents, or even insects, did get into the poison, and they died elsewhere, a lot of poisons have a 'kill life'. If she found a mouse or bug that had been poisoned and died, and she ate it, she could be what's called a 'secondary kill'. There are some poisons that have no limit on their kill life. What eats them dies, what eats those dead bodies, dies, what eats those dead bodies dies.... it just keeps going on and on. I know they tested a poison in the Northwest US decades ago to help control an invasive species... and they're still finding animals dying from it, last I heard.
Gosh that's insane. Poison is the nastiest thing, I was quite upset at the awful news the vet gave me and forgot the brand, but the kind of poison it was is the kind that attacks the brain, not the blood. As fast and awful as this stuff worked, I will be disposing of all the remaining poison and never purchasing any kind again. From now on it's mouse traps and sticky traps. I'm leaving all birds inside the next few days just to make sure. Although what's done is done, if anyone else got into it I can't help them.

Please, when throwing poison away, be careful how it's disposed of as well. Wild animals are as capable of getting into trash as domestic, flushing into a septic system can poison the water table, and if burning, be careful of what's down-wind, and whether there are warnings regarding air-born toxins. Poison doesn't stop being deadly just because it's in the trash.

Back
Top Bottom