Please sex this adolescent barred rock for me and save my marriage! - update, I have two hens - thin

wenlo

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
I live in town and can't have roosters but wanted two more hens. I bought two "sexed pullets" from a farmer but when it was clear they had started growing saddle feathers I took them back (he said he would exchange them if they were roosters.) He didn't; he still said they were hens and sent me home and told me to come back when they were crowing. Four months later they just found out they were bigger than my four hens and asserted their dominance including crowing. The farmer honored his word and exchanged for two more birds but I think the barred rock he gave me is also a rooster. My husband is angry with me for not being more assertive at the farm when I questioned whether this was really a hen. So, before I go back again and tell the farmer who thinks this is a hen is really a rooster, I would love an expert opinion to confirm or deny what I believe. If I make another mistake my husband will be so mad at me and I am having trouble trusting this farmer. Please also tell me how you know its a rooster so I can defend why I think so.

49886_img00029-20111203-1101.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah...got yourself a rooster there.

How old were your birds (the first batch and then this batch) when you got them from the farmer. If they were tiny chicks, then vent or feather sexing is certainly an art, not a science, so it could easily have been mistaken. Many use the white dot on the head, but it's not always clear. As the chicks feather out though, with MOST barred rocks it's pretty clear. Males are much lighter. And BRs combs show up pretty early if they're male...

Last edited:
ohhhhh that a rooster
his cone is bright red this young a pullets would still be fleshy color
he has sharp neck feathers, sattle feathers, and long tail feathers..
tell that farmer to keep his word and give you a hen.. hes an idiot thinking thats a hen.

also... i wouldnt be doing busness with him again.
and once you have straighten EVERYthing out id tell him that...
it has been a pain in the butt to take each rooster back when i knew better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom