Please show me your hot weather coops

I guess I'll share my coop! I spent the majority of last summer building it with my DH. We are in the hot and humid South. Everything we did was to maximize available shade and ventilation. I can't believe I don't have any finished pictures, but you get the idea here. My DH was feeling proud of himself.

It's 6x12. I was afraid it was too big at the time BUT now considering expansion. LOL! We originally planned on painting the coop barn red with white trim; however, the first red painted board was so hot that we decided to invert the colors. Helps with heat. My coop is usually around 80* inside no matter how blazing it feels outside. I do keep a thermometer in there as well.

Here, you can see the left side panel between the coop and run is open above. Great ventilation but not drafty. It is covered with hardware cloth though.

The inside of the coop box. Both windows, the one here, and the one in the first pic are covered with hardware cloth. We also made plexi inserts that can be added as storm windows, but they are usually open.

Here are pics of my hot weather coop. I'm from East Texas where it is hot & humid. I wanted something that offered plenty of air flow. Click on the "my coop" link in my avatar to see the complete transformation.

The coop/run is 10' x 20'. The outside run will be 20' x 20'. I put in a raised garden at the end of the coop. It help with shading. I plan on putting raised bed along the south end of the run to help with shading.

Last edited:
This is my hot weather coop. My chickens would cook in a coop with walls. I also have a fan the runs 24/7 in the summer that blows in one side and out the other side. I built panels to cover the sides in the winter. Here's the coop and winter panels.

We make umbrella stands using five gallon buckets filled with sackrete and a 2' to 3' piece of pvc pipe cemented in the center. We have several of these that we move around the yard for all our shady needs. They're heavy enough to hold a big umbrella but not too heavy to drag around...plus they're super cheap.

Travis, I have two of those large pool style umbrella's out by my chickens. You secure them to a stake in the ground, such as maybe a steel fence post, and one of them has a heavy base for it to go in. Also, depending upon how your house is positioned, consider the placement of your coop in regards to the heat of the afternoon. Try to utilize the shade of your house. Let me know how it goes.

27085_img_4750.jpg

We make umbrella stands using five gallon buckets filled with sackrete and a 2' to 3' piece of pvc pipe cemented in the center. We have several of these that we move around the yard for all our shady needs. They're heavy enough to hold a big umbrella but not too heavy to drag around...plus they're super cheap.

I think this is a great idea. Termite proof too. : )

I think this is a great idea.  Termite proof too.  : )

I have a couple that are semi permanent that I stack spray painted old tires around. Then I fill the inside with moss and soil and plant some herbs and flowers for our girls to peck at....my chicken yard is the only area my husband tolerates my "crazy crafty wacky mama" stuff. My tires are bright colors with all sorts of wackiness scattered about....it's ironically the most used section of the entire yard!

Last edited:
I live in North Florida and my coop is is 4x8 with one side all hardware cloth. It is within the 8x24 run that is covered with insulated metal roof panels and is under a large oak tree for added shade. I havent experienced a summer yet with it but expect them to be as comfortable as possible.

Back
Top Bottom