Please show me your hot weather coops

lol i forgot to post pics of my coop

normally in the summer it can get unwards of 107 or higher where we are so putting walls on the coop or run is out of the question or we would effectively cook our chickens in their own coop when this was a green house we clocked the temp at 125F two summers ago

th.gif

Wow! I wish I could have a chicken coop that big!

I'm going to follow this thread as we live in southern Arizona (south of Tucson) so it gets HOT here! My husband built this coop for our chickens last year, but I *had* to order chicks this year so I currently have 15 more birds that need to go somewhere. We need to expand our current coop, but I am still in the planning stages and unsure what to do. It makes the most sense to add something on to the back I think, not just sure how we want to do it. We were hoping to get a good price on a used shed off of craigslist but haven't had any luck.

have you tryed a play house for kids or an old dog house? those are easy to add on to a pre extisting hen house

Here's mine: Meepleton Manor! We're in Southern California, where the temps are normally pretty temperate (60-85 degrees F), but we get occasional heat waves and bouts of hot, dry wind. The pop door stays open, as do the ventilation windows. The run is secure. The whole manor is situated under shade trees, with the very north end of the run peeking out and getting some sun in mid morning and mid afternoon. We only have 4 hens, so our interior space is just big enough for them to sleep. Food and water are available in the run.

Feedback is appreciated!

Here's mine: Meepleton Manor! We're in Southern California, where the temps are normally pretty temperate (60-85 degrees F), but we get occasional heat waves and bouts of hot, dry wind. The pop door stays open, as do the ventilation windows. The run is secure. The whole manor is situated under shade trees, with the very north end of the run peeking out and getting some sun in mid morning and mid afternoon. We only have 4 hens, so our interior space is just big enough for them to sleep. Food and water are available in the run.

Feedback is appreciated!

very nice did you buy it or build it?

very nice did you buy it or build it?
We bought the coop (My Pet Chicken's Clubhouse Coop), but we would not buy again. It's a great starter but now we know what need and will build the next one.

We built the run, and attached it to the coop's pre-fab run (which I call the runway, because of their races down its length). We're really happy with how the run turned out; it matches our deck and firepit, and is just a nice place to hang out with the ladies.

Last edited:
We bought the coop (My Pet Chicken's Clubhouse Coop), but we would not buy again. It's a great starter but now we know what need and will build the next one.

We built the run, and attached it to the coop's pre-fab run (which I call the runway, because of their races down its length). We're really happy with how the run turned out; it matches our deck and firepit, and is just a nice place to hang out with the ladies.
it is very nice. I couldn't afford anything like that but i'm happy with what we got. What type of stain did you use it's lovely.
love.gif

We used Olympic Maximum Redwood Naturaltone stain (6 year formula). It was left over from building our deck (which we built for our wedding; instead of paying someone else to use their venue, we invested that money in our own property - win!).

To build the run, we used as much scrap lumber as we could, and we found the door in the rafters of the garage, so the run didn't cost that much. I believe the lumber and hardware cost $120, and the hardware cloth cost another $120, but we have a ton leftover that we will repurpose or sell.

If I were going to do it again, I would just build an elevated plywood box inside the run, instead of spending the money on the pre-fab coop. It's cute, and it has nice features, but I know now that we can get away with a much simpler set up. However, we do entertain in our backyard a lot, so it was worth it to us to invest in a coop that looks decent in addition to being functional. So.... if we move to another property, it will be a whole new adventure designing and building the chicken house!

it is very nice. I couldn't afford anything like that but i'm happy with what we got. What type of stain did you use it's lovely.
love.gif

We used Olympic Maximum Redwood Naturaltone stain (6 year formula). It was left over from building our deck (which we built for our wedding; instead of paying someone else to use their venue, we invested that money in our own property - win!).

To build the run, we used as much scrap lumber as we could, and we found the door in the rafters of the garage, so the run didn't cost that much. I believe the lumber and hardware cost $120, and the hardware cloth cost another $120, but we have a ton leftover that we will repurpose or sell.

If I were going to do it again, I would just build an elevated plywood box inside the run, instead of spending the money on the pre-fab coop. It's cute, and it has nice features, but I know now that we can get away with a much simpler set up. However, we do entertain in our backyard a lot, so it was worth it to us to invest in a coop that looks decent in addition to being functional. So.... if we move to another property, it will be a whole new adventure designing and building the chicken house!
yep very nice. I wanted to redo the wood on my run with a cherry stain and yes hard wire cloth is very expensive

Back
Top Bottom