Please show me your hot weather coops

Pics
This is a pic of our run on the right. We live in Southern California and 90 - 100 degrees in the summer is the usual.
I covered our run with hardware cloth, shade cloth on the walls and roof, trellis on two ends and a grapevine.
Oh, and a mister.
They still pant, but they probably won't die.

24104_dsc_0369.jpg

Here in Central Texas our temps have been in the triple digits for weeks. My husband and son built our coop last week with warmer weather in mind, the hens still pant but I set out ice water pans and they seem okay. I built shade cloth covered awnings on each side.

Under construction:

37888_img_1281.jpg
[/img]

Current picture: (needs trim and some paint)
37888_img_1317.jpg
[/img]

It's 5x12x5.5 (tall enough for me to walk into without ducking, not so for DH and teen sons)

We just finished our new 8x12 coop, in hot humid La we used several ideas from this thread. The run is 24x40 on the long side & a 24x24 'leg' so we can close off parts & let the grass grow back. Shade plus ventilation have made for some very happy hens! Everything that looks "open" is actually wire-covered.

9393_new_coop.jpg

I know most of you are battling cold, but if any of the rest of you more southern folks have hot weather coups to add, it would be nice to keep this thread going.

Thank you to those who have posted in recent months. They look good and it is great to see them!

No pics but I do have gable vents and a roof turbine-vent in center of 8 x 16 coop. Continuous soffit vents too. Two end windows, E and W. Two large awning windows on S side. Ceiling fan directly under turbine vent. Box fan sometimes brought out to put in West (shady) window for intake there if 90 degrees or more. Mine pant in hot weather, but do very well. One other thing is a plastic dishpan or small childs play pool that I will add this coming summer. Will be in shade and will always have 5" water in it for wading for the girls. They do really well in heat if they can get their feet wet.

What GREAT ideas! Having just moved to the heat of Florida from teh cold and wet of Ireland all your wonderful pictures of hot weather coops will be a big help when we get our flock started again
clap.gif

quote* virginbred
i started out with cattle panels made into a hoop house covered with a tarp...quickly moved to a larger tarp which is not in this pic but you get an idea...cattle panels were were held in ground using rebar...half was used for chickens the other half was used to mature geese, ducks, and peafowl until they could be let out year round...
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z153/virginbred/poultry/DSCN2224.jpg quote*

Do you have a picture showing how your end was done on your hoop house? - that's the same way i make my moveable goat shelter - but the ends are alwayse a hasle.

Back
Top Bottom