Please show me your hot weather coops

Thanks, guys.

Here's mine, although I have my "storm windows' on in the first pic. It is a convertedcattle feeder. I also had to get a few more chickens (shockeroo???), so there is another 6' x 6' run section off the back, so there's 6' x 18' altogether now.. Under the tarp is chain link kennel panels with different size PVC pipe so the rain rolls off (larger to smaller diameter). There is hardware cloth on the bottom 3 feet, and chicken wire all over the rest because the dang squirrels kept getting in.

7782_img_0351.jpg

7782_img_0038.jpg

7782_img_0348.jpg

Orchidchick

keep em comin...Just got our chicks (6 of them), so I have a few weeks until I need a coop. Living here in Phoenix I have no natural shade (trees) in my back yard, and was wondering about a 3, or even 2 sided coop for ventilation. I need all the ideas I can...

~Travis

Quote:
Travis, I have two of those large pool style umbrella's out by my chickens. You secure them to a stake in the ground, such as maybe a steel fence post, and one of them has a heavy base for it to go in. Also, depending upon how your house is positioned, consider the placement of your coop in regards to the heat of the afternoon. Try to utilize the shade of your house. Let me know how it goes.

27085_img_4750.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
where about in N. Fl. are you? I am in Middleburg and am currently working on my coop and just logged in to ask this same question. I started out building four sided coop because of all the rain) with lots of windows but then started to change my mind. thanks for posting this.

i live on the coast of south carolina...hot and humid here...i started out with cattle panels made into a hoop house covered with a tarp...quickly moved to a larger tarp which is not in this pic but you get an idea...cattle panels were were held in ground using rebar...half was used for chickens the other half was used to mature geese, ducks, and peafowl until they could be let out year round...chickens free ranged during the day and went into the pen at night...i used kitty litter houses for nesting boxes...my chickens seem to love them...

DSCN2224.jpg

i saw this garden/coop design on the internet and we wanted to try this and it has worked wonderfully...concrete floor gets hosed out as there is 2" between floor and sidewalls...chickens get moved from one side to the other every season and garden in the plot they were on...kitty litter houses again for nest boxes...black weed barrier used to go around inside top area under the roof which is polycarbonate roofing...

084.jpg

086.jpg

good luck on your coop! virginia

ps...oh, we have now added another platform over first nest boxes for another group so there are 8 nest boxes total...2 over 2 sorry i don't have a pic of that..

here is a pic of the summer garden area after chickens had it for the winter...

hangingtomatoes007.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom