Please Show Me Your 'Lower Ventilation'

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kyle241, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Kyle241

Kyle241 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    I have seen some great coops with ventilation at the top or near the top and have already created that for my new coop. I have not however seen (or perhaps never noticed) the lower ventilation recommended for trying to keep the coop cooler on those hot summer days. I do have three windows (2 small and 1 large) that create a cross breeze and obviously there is the chicken door itself however I have not planned any other lower ventilation. Recommendations? Pictures of examples?

Tks.

2. Brandon97

Brandon97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    hey its brandon,
    This is my WAAAYYYY UNFINISHED coop
    I think this is what you mean
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, no roof, no plastic on floor, no perch, no nestbox divider etc.
    But there is one of these on thefloor, and will be a few round ones in the sides to allow constant air flow, along with the pophole. the good thing about this is that you can put a bag/bucket below the hole, take out the vent system and brush all the muck/bedding through...EASY CLEAN! it also helps keep out the mites!
    HOPE THIS HELPS!
    [​IMG]

3. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Sorry to hot outside to go take a pic. I have a tractor that the coop part is about 3 ft off the ground. The floor of the coop is wire. We cover it with deep bed of hay in the winter. In the summer no hay.

I know an open floor doesn't work for most climates, but we have already been in the 100s for weeks. Hottest yet is 110. Summers are horribly hot & I worry so much about keeping the chickens cool.

4. Kyle241

Kyle241 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Thank you! I'll look at my coop and decide what to do.

5. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    [​IMG]
    That's upper I made gables out of some plastic soda holder tray!
    [​IMG]
    Here I used a Metal Kickplate and turned it into a screen door which will allow and awesome breeze into the coop
    [​IMG]

I didn't think I needed more ventilation than that~ But now you have me thinking about more [​IMG] Haha I have to of the gables and the large screen door and I will also let the girls out during the day to free range! Good Luck [​IMG]

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Check the link, the whole front wall is open, year round. That's ventilation.
    Jack

7. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    That's how mine is built...it was 105 when I was building it and I decided not to put on the inside doors.

If you look closely, you can see that the inside raised portion is open. The plans called for there to be doors...we now call it the loft, LOL!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by