Please show me your no-waste feeders.

bobbi-j

Enabler
14 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
I've had it. For the last 30-plus years of chicken raising, used the big metal tube feeders that you hang up. I know they create a lot of waste, but this week I decided enough is enough. I have 30 six-week old chicks and put 40 lbs. of feed in the feeder on Monday. By Tuesday evening, the feeder was empty and there was 3" of feed on the floor around it. I haven't refilled the feeder yet. I would like DH to make me a no-waste feeder, but we suffer from the male/female language barrier. I know what I want. It makes sense to me when I say it. I can see it in my head. Unfortunately (or sometimes fortunately), DH can't see into my head and know what I want. For some reason, words and hand gestures don't compute. So he needs pictures. Bring 'em on!

I don't have pictures, but I can take some later tomorrow/tonight.
I use one of those big plastic trash cans you buy at Menards or TSC. I can easily fill it over 100lbs.
What I did is get PVC pipe (large enough so your roosters can get in and out) and cut holes near the bottom (whatever height you want) and shove the PVC in. I used coch to hold it, but my adult chickens ripped it out. The pipe has stayed in place though.
I'm not at home, when I get home I will post pictures because I'm a terrible describer.
But it's worked perfectly, no mess. It's also fairly simple to move around, as it has handles for your convenience. Even if There's over 100lbs of food inside I can move it and I'm not exactly strong.

This has worked very well for me, scroll to the bottom for latest iteration.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-almost-waste-free-funnel-bucket-feeder.67218/
The deep dish at bottom is the key to keep them from billing it out onto the floor/ground.
Tho it's not enough for so many birds and am thinking of building JT's bin feeder.

@jthornton has a great bin feeder with a deep trough,
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feeder-build.1208719/
final design should an article(hint-hint)

So I ferment feed and ration it into several rubber bowls. I have no waste. Not even power waiste. No one lacks food to my knowledge. It did take me a couple of weeks to find out what a days worth of food was but now they eat twice a day and no one goes hungry or leaves food out. With the Cornish crosses I use PVC 3in. Fermented as well. Here are the PVCs used. Neither one is the fermented feed I’m now using

Attachments

• A20DABAA-8C41-4C42-B695-2F50ED212E30.jpeg
    A20DABAA-8C41-4C42-B695-2F50ED212E30.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 5C846CCA-6D38-4FD5-9982-FE4FC3AA36B5.jpeg
    5C846CCA-6D38-4FD5-9982-FE4FC3AA36B5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 32
So, we finally got the feeder built. It works well, but they got the caulk out from around one of the pieces of PVC. The caulk is missing. I'm also missing a chicken. I'm hoping she didn't eat it and die...
3A76D84E-2BCE-47BC-B15D-72517E0AC36A.jpeg
7D5A5AF1-2E22-4EF3-93F4-7DF4697A5E1E.jpeg
FC2C45A4-B9A0-45DA-A1BD-C4CBDBB3F3D9.jpeg

All these semi complex designs are great, I have one similar but I've personally just been putting a round rubber tub under those hanging feeders we dislike so much, one just a bit wider than the base of the feeder, the spillage gets caught and I just dump it back into the feeder. It's actually worked very well.

Back
Top Bottom