Please take a look at this picture and tell me what I need to do---Duckling

Waiting on news about the duckling
caf.gif

Hi Everyone :)

Thank you so much for your advice, words of encouragement and support.
hugs.gif
Sadly, little duckling didn't make it. I feel pretty sure that the trauma that crushed his egg caused the problem. That kind of pressure had to do something to him. While he had yolk sac to absorb, he was progressing but once those "built in" nutrients were gone, he had no interest in food or water and grew weaker. It probably would have been painful for him to ingest food or water. And I suspect he may have had internal bleeding. He was definitely deteriorating and so my husband didn't want him to suffer. It's so hard to make that decision.

Like Duckmama, I had a little one from another clutch hatch early and with her yolk sac which was still a considerable size. I put her in the incubator w/ a damp cloth around her and I was astonished at how quickly she made progress. She, too, is the runt of the litter but such a busy little thing---smart, healthy and keeping up w/ her sibs. I'm glad I had that good experience with her. I believe every experience--happy and sad alike---helps me to be a better duck mom for the ducklings that follow.

Thanks Wynette for following up with me. So nice to have a friend out there :)

Julia

Hi Kwijibo,
Sorry about your little tyke.
The next time a duckling can't swallow, you may be able to give him some plain unflavored slightly diluted Pedialyte with an eyedropper or with a little soft long nipple they use for feeding baby squirrels, or at worst with a soft skinny feeding tube (there are videos online that show how to put in the feeding tube). That could keep him nourished and give him a last chance to rally. They sell these types of supplies at squirrelsandmore.com.

Back
Top Bottom