Please tell me I'm wrong...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BirdNut, Oct 20, 2010.

1. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    ...But I think I have yet another cockerel. Take a look, and tell me what you think. The bird in question is the lighter-colored one.

Comparison of back feathers. Notice how much more developed one is over the other? I've read and experienced that roos' feathers develop at a slower rate than hens.
    [​IMG]

Comparison of tail feathers. Notice how the bird in question also has curled tail feathers.
    [​IMG]

A picture of the comb. Unfortunately, s/he wouldn't allow me to take the picture face-on.
    [​IMG]

This is the supposed boy's sister, just to show how developed the feathers around her neck are. I'm almost certain that this one is a girl.
    [​IMG]

I've always been right with all of the cockerels that we've had in the past, but I'm really hoping I'm wrong this time. [​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- from my experience- males tend to show silver more often then girls. I don't see anything obviously roo in the pics though. Have you tried putting them side-by-side and comparing their legs?

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i have had a few chicks who matured slow like that but ended up as hens. hopefully this is the case for yours [​IMG]

4. BirdNut

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Quote:I have not tried that yet. I'll go and do that, and I'll tell you what I see.

Also... I just went out there and took a look at them, and noticed that they've grown just a tad since those pictures were taken. The supposed roo's tail feathers are even more curled since I took the pictures! [​IMG]

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    What about the comb? I'm seeing pink... how's the color compared to the other chick's?

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    how old are they and what breed? I have some mixes that look like them but at 4 weeks you could tell Bradley was a he cause his comb was big and very pink Bradley is in the front
    [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You're not wrong. The silver one looks to be a rooster. I see pink in his comb already, not to mention the coloring.

8. BirdNut

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    I'll answer each of your questions one by one; Jossane, I forgot to mention that his comb is bigger than the other one, and has pink-ish coloration while his sister does not. Sheila, they are both Easter Eggers. HappyMtn, I couldn't get a picture of their legs side-by-side. They don't want to sit still.

I am now certain I have yet ANOTHER rooster. [​IMG]

Thank you for your help, everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by