Please tell me I'm wrong...

BirdNut

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Suprise, Arizona
...But I think I have yet another cockerel. Take a look, and tell me what you think. The bird in question is the lighter-colored one.

Comparison of back feathers. Notice how much more developed one is over the other? I've read and experienced that roos' feathers develop at a slower rate than hens.
67724_chicks_001.jpg

Comparison of tail feathers. Notice how the bird in question also has curled tail feathers.
67724_chicks_002.jpg

A picture of the comb. Unfortunately, s/he wouldn't allow me to take the picture face-on.
67724_chicks_003.jpg

This is the supposed boy's sister, just to show how developed the feathers around her neck are. I'm almost certain that this one is a girl.
67724_chicks_004.jpg

I've always been right with all of the cockerels that we've had in the past, but I'm really hoping I'm wrong this time.
fl.gif

Goose and Fig

Grateful Geese
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Fall Creek Falls TN
Well- from my experience- males tend to show silver more often then girls. I don't see anything obviously roo in the pics though. Have you tried putting them side-by-side and comparing their legs?

BirdNut

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Suprise, Arizona
Quote:
I have not tried that yet. I'll go and do that, and I'll tell you what I see.

Also... I just went out there and took a look at them, and noticed that they've grown just a tad since those pictures were taken. The supposed roo's tail feathers are even more curled since I took the pictures!
ep.gif

sheila3935

Songster
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
Stonington, illinois
how old are they and what breed? I have some mixes that look like them but at 4 weeks you could tell Bradley was a he cause his comb was big and very pink Bradley is in the front
62756_100_9493.jpg

BirdNut

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Suprise, Arizona
I'll answer each of your questions one by one; Jossane, I forgot to mention that his comb is bigger than the other one, and has pink-ish coloration while his sister does not. Sheila, they are both Easter Eggers. HappyMtn, I couldn't get a picture of their legs side-by-side. They don't want to sit still.

I am now certain I have yet ANOTHER rooster.
barnie.gif

Thank you for your help, everyone!

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom