1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE tell me these arent saddle feathers!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MESOFRUFFEH, Jan 8, 2016.

1. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are overrun with roosters, and a few weeks ago, something tore into my pen of pullets and ate them ALL so I am REALLY hoping this guy is not a roo. We will have almost as many roos and hens then, and I am struggling to decide who will be dinner. I love them all lol.

Can anyone please either confirm or ease my fears that this black and white guy has saddle feathers? Also, can anyone tell me what breed? I have thought exchequer leghorn, but his/her skin color was not right. I made a post about this guy when he was younger and updated it with new pics a few times, but I really never got a concrete answer. He/she is almost 4 months old now if that helps any, I got him/her on 9/25/15.

Any help would be appreciated. Hoping and praying those are not going to be saddle feathers. I think I am too paranoid! [​IMG]

2. Zinniah

Zinniah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    They look like saddle feathers to me, maybe they aren't though...

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't see any obvious pointed saddle feathers, so I wouldn't say he is a cockerel yet.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Looks like a pullet to me.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Looks like a pullet to me also. Ancona maybe?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    looks like a pullet - [​IMG] hope it stays that way

7. DarthRooster

DarthRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've got anconas and exchequer leghorns and she looks like all my exchequer hens. She might not be pure

8. showinbirds

showinbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    COLUMBUS, KS
    Looks like cockerels to me.

9. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    Guys I am so nervous haha. This is the most mysterious chicken I've ever had! I guess I will update this thread in a few more weeks.... Im hoping and praying, crossing fingers toes and eyes that it's a pullet!

10. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    Ok well, this guy turned out to be a rooster [​IMG]. His name is Big Bird. He is HUGE. These pics don't do him justice. Now that I know he is a roo, can anyone help me identify a breed yet? He is so awkward and large and lanky. What the heck is he?! [​IMG] (he is the black and white one btw)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    He has no butt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by