Please tell me this is some sort of molting.....

After going through a year of dealing with a feather picker intent on removing feathers from exactly that particular spot at the base of the back, I feel qualified to diagnose your "missing feathers problem" as being done by a feather picker, not a rooster mating.

You most probably have one culprit. Look for the hen, and it's usually a hen, who still has intact back feathers. Then observe her interacting with the others. You will probably see her liberate a feather as the victim conveniently places her back in close proximity to the feather picker's beak. In the case of my feather picker, an EE named Flo, she was so fixated on shaving feathers that she would run around in a frenzy pursuing her passion. Originally I thought Flo had a nutritional imbalance, but it turned out to be purely mental. She was wired that way, and the problem began about the time she was beginning to lay.

For the longest time I believed Flo would never be cured. I tried many tactics, but putting pinless peepers on her finally curtailed her behavior.

I thought Flo was destined to wear the peepers permanently, but after a year, I took them off her, and she's not picked another feather. I guess the peepers helped to "re-wire" her brain.

If, as Flo was, your hen is precious to you, it's worth trying to reform her rather than culling her. But it will take patience and time. The peepers are uncomfortable at first, but the chicken gets used to them. But the beak holes remain tender and touching the peepers does cause discomfort. Also, the peepers make it hard for the hen to compete for food, and navigating things like the flaps on the pop hole becomes a challenge. It's not something that's going to make life any easier for the hen who has to wear them. And then sometimes they don't accomplish what you'd hoped.

But this is what you have, no doubt in my mind. Look for the one still sporting perfect back feathers.

I saw the rooster mate one of the BO's today and noticed that when he was done her feathers were well ruffled in that exact spot. All my BR's have the spots and the EE but my two BO hens do not. One is the smallest hen by far, the other is a bit larger but I have never seen her be the least bit aggressive.

I will try trimming the toenails and see if that helps. My Roo does not have big spurs yet....Can you just trim toenails with a sharp scissors or dog nail trimmers? How far back is too far?

Well, maybe it is the roo, then. You should still observe a bit more to be sure.

Trimming the toe nails with a dog nail clipper is the easiest way. But chicken nails have a much shallower "quick". Start by snipping just a hair off the tip of the nail and work inward, careful to note when the center begins to show that pink "tell". If you've gone too far, a drop of blood will ooze up.

You might think about sewing some saddles for the hens. BYC has many good patterns if you enter "saddles" in the search.

Looks like what I had going on when my pullets were 16 weeks old. It took a good while watching them to figure out who was the picker. It was one of the EEs. I put pinless peepers on her. They are now 23 weeks old, picking stopped immediately, and bald spots are gone. I was afraid others learned from the picker but so far we've had no other problems with this.

Quote:
I have nothing to add, but this photo cracks me up every time I see it.
lau.gif

Its only at the back near the tail feathers as shown in the previous pics. The spots seemed to be closing up and I didn't notice anything else, I wondered if they were stressed (food got a bit low and had low water levels one or two days). BUT, we recently got back from vacation and I noticed that the spots were getting somewhat bigger and all the chickens had them but one, the smallest BO who always gets picked on.....my MIL had some issues with the waterer while we were gone and I am wondering if the picking is stressed induced or if it is indeed the rooster.....

Back
Top Bottom