Please tell me this isn’t bumble foot

what have you done to treat?
This is all based on the case, but to start, I soak the foot in warm water with epsom salt for 20 minutes. After that, I wrap the chicken in a towel or balancer with the legs out behind her. I then grab a small pair of tweezers and my nail tool and slowly and carefully remove the black head. It’s ok if you can’t get it, it may take multiple tries. After the removal, I gently squeeze all of the puss out. Then, flush it with water, peroxide, then water again and apply medicated cream of choice. I then put a cut out piece of gauze on the foot and wrap with vetwrap and my signature foot bandage. Then, if case was severe and hen is mature, 2 rounds of injectable penicillin 2 days apart

Looks like early stages of Contact Dermatitis/Foot Pad Dermatitis. Is bedding dry?
If the birds are not standing on concrete blocks all day, then I wouldn't think that should be too much of an issue.
Ok. This makes more sense.

I was having trouble keeping them from knocking over the waterer. just about everyday when I got home from work it was turned over. this along with there being 10 of them in a tote as a brooder I should have been changing the bedding a bit more often.

I was trying to finish the coop before I needed to do another litter change but I should have done it.

BUT

their feet are looking MUCH better this morning. I will continue last nights treatment of epsom salt soak and a topical antibiotic. I also added some vitamins to the waterer and a dab of aquaphor to the pads this morning.

will posts updated pics after tonights treatment

0D0E3910-728E-4381-92E8-4E2200F20128.jpeg

After 1 treatment

Oh, and for stopping them from tipping things over :rolleyes:

Yeah, all of them spend all day working out the tipping points on everything in the place...

I use rocks and bricks both around things and sometimes inside water bowls. (Just wash the rock same as you wash anything else)

For a lot of water issues I use a bowl within a bowl (or old soup pot) the spill is then contained in the second container.

But

They will continue to out think us... Clearly they discovered the tipping point... And they like it.

Back
Top Bottom