PLEASE: WOUND advice for injured pullet!

CannedMonster

Free Ranging
5 Years
Nov 26, 2017
Southwest Idaho
Agatha is a 5 month old Naked Neck/Turken pullet.
She just laid her first egg yesterday.

She has been staying on the roost in the morning for the last two days.
She was fluffed up but would still move around with the flock once she came down; eating and drinking normally.

This morning I had to lift her down from the roost myself.
She was limping so I picked her up to check her feet and legs.
When I lifted her I felt something crusty like on her abdomen.
I had to sit down and turn her over on her back, parted the feathers and I saw this terrible wound!
DAA41E5B-63D2-4B01-BB7A-C06F97430FAA.jpeg

It’s on the right side between her keel and leg.
I took her in the house and sprayed it really well with Veterycin.
I separated her in a dog crate on the deck so the flock can still see her.
She has food and water and has been eating/drinking.
A8A19BC8-A8CE-450E-8894-9B4DC89277D1.jpeg

Her sister pullet, Emily, and my cockerel Angus, come to lay down next to the crate and keep her company.

Do any experienced BYC peeps have any additional advice to care for the wound?
I have an appointment tomorrow for my cat at the vet.
I plan on showing him the picture and asking his advice and if he thinks I should bring her in to be seen.
He will treat chickens as long as he thinks the treatment will work.
He doesn’t like charging people for chickens when it will probably have a negative outcome.

Have you been able to figure out how she got injured? Looks like maybe a predator? Sounds like you're doing fine, cleaning & keeping it clean. Infection is what you need to watch & be concerned about, maybe the Vet can help you with that.

It's good that you have her separated, you could put the wire cage in the coop/run with the the rest at night so she remains part of the flock. Sounds like you free range so what you're doing is great, cute that Emily & Angus are keeping her company ... Will definitely make reintroduction to the flock easier.

Have you been able to figure out how she got injured? Looks like maybe a predator? Sounds like you're doing fine, cleaning & keeping it clean. Infection is what you need to watch & be concerned about, maybe the Vet can help you with that.

It's good that you have her separated, you could put the wire cage in the coop/run with the the rest at night so she remains part of the flock. Sounds like you free range so what you're doing is great, cute that Emily & Angus are keeping her company ... Will definitely make reintroduction to the flock easier.
No predators around here.
I believe she tore herself on some chicken wire with sharp edges.
I removed the chicken wire to prevent anyone else from getting hurt.
I’m worried about infection though.

I would start by plucking or trimming those fluffy feathers to create a margin on the wound, making sure none can stick inside like they are in that photo.
Vetericyn is nice but it’s essentially a glorified flushing agent. I would pick up some betadine and thoroughly clean the wound out—don’t be afraid to put some elbow grease into it. Dress it with ointment afterwards and keep up the vetericyn flush/ointment applications until healed.
It doesn’t look too bad and it sounds like she’s doing great so far. Good luck!

How is she??
She’s doing fantastic.
I haven’t been able to get her and check the scab/scar but it must be healed because she’s running around and laying just fine.
I kept her separated in a dog crate and sprayed it twice a day with Veterycin.
After about a week or so it had scabbed over and she was extremely frustrated with being confined.
To the point where I felt that was more detrimental.
So I put her on the roost with the flock every night and put her back in the crate in the morning for a few more days.
Then I just let her back with them and free ranging.
She was so happy!
The first thing she did was dust bathe.
I’m glad the wound was scabbed over at that point.

Back
Top Bottom