Pleased to meet you

Hi again! Here's a link to our state thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/305793/florida-always-sunny-side-up

In our mixed flock the sex link girls have done pretty well handling the heat/humidity and the winter chill, one of them is my lap girl but the other 2 are ornery leg peckers. I also really like the Speckled Sussex girls for their personalities, very sweet chickens. Our EE has done well with the weather but she has long molts and will go up toward 2 1/2 months without laying. The Barred Rocks have done well both with laying & the weather and they are the least likely ones to pick on (or get picked on) in the flock but not the most people-friendly. The RIR's have been good layers and do ok with the weather. The ones that handled the weather the best were the Black Australorps but 1 was constantly broody (few eggs due to that) and the other was a bully so I re-homed both of them.

Those are just my chickens...others will have had different experiences with the same breed. You can ask others on our FL thread what they have had good luck with.

Very interesting. Before I even saw your post I had contact with a gentleman who lives nearby to give me a young Black Australorp rooster. I actually tried to buy some chickens he had offered and someone else got there before me. I am buying from him a young Black Australorp hen and two young Barred Rocks. He called them English barred and said they were somewhat smaller than the regular Barred Rocks. So tomorrow we're going to start filling the chicken coop and run. I can hardly wait. Hope I have good luck with the Australorps.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

Back
Top Bottom