PlotSpike® Forage Feast from Tractor Supply

Hounddog777

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2015
NE Tennessee
I am a newbie with chickens and just starting out. I am only starting with a few chicks, strictly for eggs. I have about 2.5 acres in a rural area. I bought a 4 x 6 pre made coop from Chicken Condos which has an 8 x 8 run. I also bought a 3.5 x 8 mobile run which I will move around the yard, allowing them to pick away, then move them back to their stationary coop and run at the end of the day. I was thinking about planting PlotSpike
00ae.png
Forage Feast from TSC. DO you think the chickens would be acceptable to this mix?

I don't see any problem with providing your chickens a variety of greens to choose from. They will prefer certain plants over others. A combo pack like this will provide an assortment for sure. Don't see anything here that would harm them. except a stampede of deer. LOL.
caf.gif

I don't see any problem with providing your chickens a variety of greens to choose from. They will prefer certain plants over others. A combo pack like this will provide an assortment for sure. Don't see anything here that would harm them. except a stampede of deer. LOL.
caf.gif
Already have a deer feeder set up at the bottom of the property to keep them down there.
smile.png
I figured I would give the chickens the upper part of the property. Thank you, appreciate the input.
smile.png

Hi, I was thinking about using this product in my "chicken yard". It's very sandy soil. Do you think it would hurt if I threw this out and the chickens ate some of the seeds? It says they have no chemical coating...

Hi, I was thinking about using this product in my "chicken yard". It's very sandy soil. Do you think it would hurt if I threw this out and the chickens ate some of the seeds? It says they have no chemical coating...
I know this is a few months old... But if you want to be able to grow greens in the chicken yard, you will need to protect the roots from being scratched up and the tops from being eaten too far down. What I have done is to make what I call my "salad bars"!
smile.png
I took some 2 x 4's and screwed them together in a large rectangle that would fit the width of 1" hardware cloth. You can make it however long you want. Then I used screws and fender washers to screw the 1" hardware cloth across the top. You can take that rectangle and lay it over where ever you "seed" with the plotspike. (I have had to come back and push some rebar across the centers for support because the chickens have weighed the wire down permanently and my stuff was not growing as well.)

I have used the Plotspike Oats as a "salad bar" seed and as sprouted seeds for my chickens. I was intrigued to find the "new" Plotspike seeds at TSC! I had wondered if anyone else was using it to grow greens or as sprouts for their chickens.
I think I will give the Forage Feast or one of the others a try!!!

Anyone else using any of the new Plotspikes for their chickens? As a sprout or as a green in the run?

Back
Top Bottom