Pls help! Does my hen have vent gleet? egg bound?

Apr 29, 2019
2 y/o RIR. I saw her squatting in the run today. She looks like she has a saggy diaper on and she has quite a bit of poo on her back side.

I let them out to free range for a couple hours. She has had a slight bend in her knees like she wants to poop and keeps flexing her vent like she’s going to poop but nothing comes out. I’ve seen 2 small poops from her in the last hour or so.

She has been eating, drinking and even went chasing after another hen who pecked her.

Also, I'm concerned for whatever it is she's dealing with as our temps are going to shoot up the next few days (102, 109, 108, 104, 100). The added stress of heat is worrisome.

I’ve taken a few photos. Does this seem like vent gleet? Or is she egg bound? Thanks for your help as always.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.PNG
    IMG_0025.PNG
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    961.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Tomorrow I will check her crop first thing. Thoroughly clean coop, run and water. I'll also purchase yogurt and add some ACV to their water.

If anyone has any additional insight and tips beyond that, I would greatly appreciate it. I get so worried when they're not acting normally.

Update: She had some yogurt/wheat germ/ACV. She has gone to her feeder a few times, drank quite a bit of water, and free ranged a little bit. She has had some poos, just one good one.

Symptoms: Still walking with a wide gait, pulsing her vent. Pale comb and wattle. When I let her out to free range with the others she began panting, this has been off and on for about 40 minutes or so.

Back
Top Bottom