Plymouth Barred Rock Story

Tami2

Crowing
Apr 30, 2022
I just want to share. My sister sent me this video, of a homesteader's 3 worst chicken breeds. Link below, if you care to watch.

The very first breed on her list is a Plymouth Barred Rock. Ever since I watched this video, I've been observing Merci's (my Barred Rock) behavior and looking for any aggressiveness towards the other girls. Well, I haven't thank goodness. But, what I have noticed is that she is very gentle, calm, trusting and the only one of my baby girls that will come to me and allow me to pick her up without a chase. The very first morning, I was worried it was a one-off. But no, she has done this now 6Xs since. Tonight, when we were gathering them up to bring them back inside. I was going for my Speckled Sussex & Merci flew on to my back & climbed up to my shoulder. haha :D I offered her my hand, like I do my parrot to 'Step Up'. But, she doesn't know how to do that.
I am so happy about this. I've had them all almost a month now and they still all, but Merci run away from me, with one exception. When they think I'm bringing them something yummy... lol
I'm just over the moon with her gentle, trusting behavior that I wanted to share. I'm hoping her exceptional behavior wears off on the rest of my flock.

Thanks for taking the time to read about my sweet girl, Merci. 👇🏻

JUN_7932.jpg

Awwwww! Sweet little Merci! Love it!

My top hen is a 4 year old BPR named Zinnia. She's amazing! Not aggressive unless someone steps out of line. She's a lap chicken, too! If my rooster gives me a hard time, she defends me. She is THE BEST ever! And a reliable layer.

20200520_191520.jpg

Chickens are individuals. Sure, there are some breed stereotypes that apply to most birds of a breed, but there are always exceptions. Always.

Awwwww! Sweet little Merci! Love it!

My top hen is a 4 year old BPR named Zinnia. She's amazing! Not aggressive unless someone steps out of line. She's a lap chicken, too! If my rooster gives me a hard time, she defends me. She is THE BEST ever! And a reliable layer.

View attachment 3171309

Chickens are individuals. Sure, there are some breed stereotypes that apply to most birds of a breed, but there are always exceptions. Always.
Thank you so much for sharing. Zinnia is gorgeous and I love her story. 💕

I love my rocks!! I have 6 now I got 3 in my first flock and 3 more about 10 weeks ago
They are very sweet I think one of my babies is another lap chicken. I think they are great birds.
That is wonderful, thank you!
I did a lot of research looking for gentle, sweet, docile, beginner friendly chickens and PBRs always made the list. So, I was shocked when I watched that video. And pleasantly surprised that I do indeed have a sweetie.
The fact that she flew on to my back tonight. Do you think she may also be a 'lap chicken'? I'd welcome that, for sure.

That is wonderful, thank you!
I did a lot of research looking for gentle, sweet, docile, beginner friendly chickens and PBRs always made the list. So, I was shocked when I watched that video. And pleasantly surprised that I do indeed have a sweetie.
The fact that she flew on to my back tonight. Do you think she may also be a 'lap chicken'? I'd welcome that, for sure.
Maybe. It's a good sign that she might be!

Back
Top Bottom