Plymouth Rock thread!

Quote:
That was what turned me off of show birds. I went to a couple of Florida shows 2 years ago, and they had some roosters that were ENORMOUS. White rocks and Rhode Island Reds. Big as turkeys. I knew from the SOP that much bigger is not much better....a little over size is fine, but too much so destroys the whole purpose of the Plymouth Rock.

I thought that too until I noticed that all the big birds were winning.
wink.png

I don't show, no interest in showing, too dangerous to expose the birds to disease at shows, so that doesn't matter to me. The only reason, and I do mean the only reason I even have these breeder type BRs is that my hatchery Rock hens were all dying from internal/false laying. I got tired of watching them go one by one that way. Since I needed new blood, I contacted a friend whose stock I trust to send me hatching eggs. Figured I'd get more Rocks with better genetics; in the process, the better looking part was just a bonus. If they don't lay well, guess it's back to the drawing board. I'm just not impressed with lines for the sake of lines. If I can find hatchery lines who don't die on me of the same old reproductive malfunctions and lay like a Rock should with the usual Rock personality, I'm perfectly fine with those.
smile.png

I still have four BRs descended from hatchery stock, so far, no hint of reproductive issues, but they aren't 1st generation hatchery or even descended from the same hatchery parents as died from the issues. One hen is the daughter of a hen who died from internal laying and I also have her daughter. The other two came from parents from a different hatchery who didn't show the same incidence of reproductive issues (hatching eggs from a friend's flock). Then I have the three breeder/show type BR pullets with Rex. I also have two blue Rocks and one splash Rock pullet from halo, all really good layers. Hopefully, the internal laying stuff won't crop up with them like the others.
fl.gif

Quote:
But Cyn as a breeder I feel it's my job and responsibility to obtain a bird as close to the standard as possible. So in this case I feel lines can be important as some may have better conformation than others. Weight is sort of another thing. I only showed my silver pencils once and they were sitting next to the some of the largest white rocks I've ever seen. Mine were dwarfed by them. I wish they were weighing at shows as I'm sure these were much larger than the standard.

Dan Honour has stated he is considering ordering 100 Buff Leghorn pullets from ideal poultry farms, cull down to the best 10 and breed those to his best Buff Leghorn male. In a couple of generations he would then slowly introduce those egg laying genes into the rest of his flock. We are testing his theory on an Ideal Buff Orpington pullet this winter/spring. She is the same age as a pair of Jeff Thornton's Buff Orps and their growth rate is about the same.

This should work on any breed, including teh Plymouth Rocks. If you are not interested in showing, then type and color is not as important. In making this cross you get the best...and worst...of both.

I have seen some ENORMOUS whites at shows, too. My SPPR line is most definitely on the small side, but when I weigh mine, they are not as far off from the standard (.5 to .75#) as it would appear when they are shown, due to the HUGE FACTOR of the Whites. When you put one that's close to the correct size next to one that's 3# OVER in weight, it does make my SPPR look too small. It's frustrating, but it is what it is. Type is the most important thing with breeding, even over size. At least for PRs.

That's fine, Cheryl, I'm not arguing any points about size. I'm just telling my experience with hatchery stock and why I have breeder stock, and it isn't the same reason that many others do. It's for longevity and genetic strength, not purely looks. I like good type just to look at for myself, sure, but if the other factors don't go along with it, it isn't as meaningful to me.

If I'm picking between two birds, I look at the bird, not the line. Not every bird from one line is a winner. You know that. Even show quality parents don't produce mostly show quality progeny. Remember, Cheryl, I'm not a breeder.
wink.png
I could show my crew, sure, but I won't do it.

Quote:
Wynette, at least you did not have to deal with Terry Britt's White Rocks at Crossroads. He was judging and could not show.

Frank Reese has so many excellent quality birds in each bred because he hatches thousands of chicks, culls heavy and sells his culls as Sunday dinners. When you hatch 100 chicks every chick is important to you. When you hatch 1000, you can be a bit more picky.

Quote:
Wynette, at least you did not have to deal with Terry Britt's White Rocks at Crossroads. He was judging and could not show.

Frank Reese has so many excellent quality birds in each bred because he hatches thousands of chicks, culls heavy and sells his culls as Sunday dinners. When you hatch 100 chicks every chick is important to you. When you hatch 1000, you can be a bit more picky.

Terry's birds were in the show that I showed my flock in...overwhelmingly huge - my poor girls looked like bantams!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom