Plymouth Rock thread!

Quote:
All my sppr roos I've raised have been sweethearts, but I hold them...

I held all of mine but one cock had
a mean streak a mile long. No way was he allowed to breed anything. Gorgeous bird but the day he scratched my legs up was his last day.

agreed, badness is not to be tolerated ... I had a hen yesterday in my layer flock peck at me 4 times when I was dusting them...really wanted to give a smack on the touchee but that doesn't really work with chickens, wish there was a way to disapline for bad bahavior that they would understand!
gig.gif

My very first blue rock roo was rotten to the core. I tolerated him for a while, and hatched out some eggs by him. When I was confident that I had enough babies to pick out another boy, I gave him away. He was too bad to be believed. I had to enter the coop with a big stick in my hand all the time. Took a lot of fun out of it. Since them, all the rock roosters have been just fine. Not necessarily cuddle bugs, but I dont cuddle my birds. All stay out of my way when I go in the coop, and have never once looked at me aggressively.

Currently conditioning my best trio of Barred Rocks and my best trio of partridge rocks for the Bluebonnet Classic in Texas in January. I'm a member of the Plymouth Rock Club and they are having a meet. They should have quite a few rocks there. I love competition because it lets you know what you need to work on in regards to the standard. I'm feeding them a special SECRET
wink.png
(LOL)
tongue.png
diet so they will be big and well feathered. What a boring life. I must be cuckoo. Only my chicken friends understand this affliction.

Last edited:
Good luck Caron and by the way it is the Plymouth Rock Club.

I think one problem with show bird is that they are too big. Since they have stop weighing there is no way to see if I am right. But as has been stated big birds do not lay well.

How precious your lovely babyboy is, you had better add Rocks to your breed list because they are awesome. Well its Jeffs feed plan LOL he is a stickler about feeding birds and making them huge. You are so silly....And yes its the PLymouth Rock Club. I always say Barred Rock club because Im obsessed by them bad boys. They do not lay very well due to the fact they are bred for looks not eggs. Anyone coming to Bluebonnet Classic from outta Texas to see the show? Im going to Shawnee to look and buy.....teeheehee

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom