Plymouth Rock thread!

The male chicks should feather being solid black in the breast. Those without a solid black breast should not be used for breeding. I've had some Hortstman stock, they are nice birds. Enjoy!

Four weeks old. Bantam barred rocks from Horstman. They are a little dirty from their breakfast mash.

Last edited:
The male chicks should feather being solid black in the breast.  Those without a solid black breast should not be used for breeding.  I've had some Hortstman stock, they are nice birds.  Enjoy!

Hi Wynette
I will be using the double mating system on my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks to get the best coloring in my cockerel & pullet breeding pens. In the pullet mating a male should show some frosting and white splashing on breast, thighs and fluff, but not up under throat. In my opinion using the double mating system you can get a Silver Penciled Rock hen to the lighter shade of gray that the American Standard of Perfection calls for.

Hi Wynette
I will be using the double mating system on my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks to get the best coloring in my cockerel & pullet breeding pens. In the pullet mating a male should show some frosting and white splashing on breast, thighs and fluff, but not up under throat. In my opinion using the double mating system you can get a Silver Penciled Rock hen to the lighter shade of gray that the American Standard of Perfection calls for.
I've read this as well; my comment was toward showing - sorry, I should have clarified. a solid black breast is the preference for an exhibition male.

I've read this as well; my comment was toward showing - sorry, I should have clarified. a solid black breast is the preference for an exhibition male.

You are correct there, a solid black breast is called for in the SOP for silver duck-wing pattern males; no matter what you use/or breed to get them this way.
wink.png

I've read this as well; my comment was toward showing - sorry, I should have clarified.  a solid black breast is the preference for an exhibition male. 

Yes you are right in that you would only want a male with a solid black breast to take to a poultry show. In double mating you would never want to show a male that is from a pullet breeding line as the cockerel offspring will be to light in color but they are very valuable in producing high quality gray penciled pullets. In the cockerel breeding line the pullet offspring will be to dark for showing but are very valuable in producing high quality dark cockerels.

Yes you are right in that you would only want a male with a solid black breast to take to a poultry show. In double mating you would never want to show a male that is from a pullet breeding line as the cockerel offspring will be to light in color but they are very valuable in producing high quality gray penciled pullets. In the cockerel breeding line the pullet offspring will be to dark for showing but are very valuable in producing high quality dark cockerels.
Not to be contrary....but more for understanding, be careful with simply "going by the book" for double mating....I do double mate my Columbian Rocks in similar fashion to what you describe for SPRs...but, genetics can be goofy things. I have a pullet from my male pen (2013 hatch) that will DEFINITELY be shown....by far the best female I have produced yet in 4 yrs with this line. While it looks good on paper, every now and again you might get surprised!!

Not to be contrary....but more for understanding, be careful with simply "going by the book" for double mating....I do double mate my Columbian Rocks in similar fashion to what you describe for SPRs...but, genetics can be goofy things. I have a pullet from my male pen (2013 hatch) that will DEFINITELY be shown....by far the best female I have produced yet in 4 yrs with this line. While it looks good on paper, every now and again you might get surprised!!
How boring would it be if everything went by the book? LOL I can only laugh because I have "fond" memories of working with the Columbian pattern back in the day too. It's always a challenge, but a fun one.

Back
Top Bottom