Plymouth Rock thread!

Not to be contrary....but more for understanding, be careful with simply "going by the book" for double mating....I do double mate my Columbian Rocks in similar fashion to what you describe for SPRs...but, genetics can be goofy things.  I have a pullet from my male pen (2013 hatch) that will DEFINITELY be shown....by far the best female I have produced yet in 4 yrs with this line.  While it looks good on paper, every now and again you might get surprised!!

I will be keeping records of each breeding pen so I can keep track of which pens is producing the best offspring. I am looking forward to using the double mating system on my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks. I have older books that go into detail on double mating the Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks and it looks to have worked very well in the past. I have been following the progress you have made on your Columbian Rocks and you have done a outstanding job on them.

I just got 6 BO and 2 BPR. they are 2 weeks old today. My Orhps love to eat meal worms from my hand but the Rocks seem to care less. All 6 will be hopping all over each other to get to them but not my rocks they will calmly walk over to the feeder and eat. They will eat them if I just toss a few right by them. Is this normal behavior for the breed?

okay, so I was hoping for some help in determining gender of some SPR's (hortzman lines)

a nice lady hatched these out for me but I don't want to bring home too many boys because I have an MG positive flock. (I am thinking about calling my place: "Hotel California farm")

What do y'all think?

Last edited:
okay, so I was hoping for some help in determining gender of some SPR's (hortzman lines)

a nice lady hatched these out for me but I don't want to bring home too many boys because I have an MG positive flock. (I am thinking about calling my place: "Hotel California farm")

What do y'all think?

Need better chest pics of #2, but I think #1 & #3 are pullets and #2 & #4 are cockerels. However, #2 could be a pullet. Pretty sure on my other guesses.

Last edited:
okay, so I was hoping for some help in determining gender of some SPR's (hortzman lines) a nice lady hatched these out for me but I don't want to bring home too many boys because I have an MG positive flock. (I am thinking about calling my place: "Hotel California farm") What do y'all think? URL]
At this age " from 3 to 5 weeks of age " the easiest way for me to tell the males from the females is to look at their tail feathers. The ones with mostly black tails will be males. The ones with penciling in tails will be females.

Two of my daughters silver penciled rocks. The one with the dark tail feathers is the only one like that. Silver Rock-is that what you mean by black tail feathers?

Last edited:

Two of my daughters silver penciled rocks. The one with the dark tail feathers is the only one like that. Silver Rock-is that what you mean by black tail feathers?

Hi 4Hgirl
The pullets will be the easiest to tell as they will have penciling in their tail feathers very early. Some of my males had a gray/brown (no penciling) tail feathers at the very start but soon turn to black tail feathers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom