Plymouth Rock thread!

Hi, I was wondering if you guys could help me. I bought these silver pencil barred rock from a guy who hatched some eggs. I got them when they were 4-5 weeks old and he said they were pullets. They are now 9-10 weeks old and I have a feeling they are cockerals. I'm new to chickens so I'm pretty bad at sexing but tell me what you guys think? I can't have roosters so if they are then they will need to go. Pictures are of the same bird. I only got two of them but they look identical... I'm really hoping I didn't end up with 2 roo's... :X
Are you saying these are Silver Penciled Rock crossed to Barred Rock? They are two different varieties, so I just wanted to check on that. Definitely two males, they don't appear barred to me, so I'm guessing you may have simply misstated. Cute little boys you have there!

I sure hope the man you got them from wasn't pulling one over on you. If so, shame on him! I would contact him and make arrangements to bring them back to him. Or, at the very least, grow them out until they begin crowing and then process them for your table. Plymouth Rock are a good, dual-purpose breed, and they should dress out nicely at about 16-18 weeks.

Hi, I was wondering if you guys could help me. I bought these silver pencil barred rock from a guy who hatched some eggs. I got them when they were 4-5 weeks old and he said they were pullets. They are now 9-10 weeks old and I have a feeling they are cockerals. I'm new to chickens so I'm pretty bad at sexing but tell me what you guys think? I can't have roosters so if they are then they will need to go. Pictures are of the same bird. I only got two of them but they look identical... I'm really hoping I didn't end up with 2 roo's... :X

On the bright side SPR roos are gorgeous.

Are you saying these are Silver Penciled Rock crossed to Barred Rock? They are two different varieties, so I just wanted to check on that. Definitely two males, they don't appear barred to me, so I'm guessing you may have simply misstated. Cute little boys you have there!

I sure hope the man you got them from wasn't pulling one over on you. If so, shame on him! I would contact him and make arrangements to bring them back to him. Or, at the very least, grow them out until they begin crowing and then process them for your table. Plymouth Rock are a good, dual-purpose breed, and they should dress out nicely at about 16-18 weeks.
I am sure he just made a mistake. I hope. Yes I agree great for the table, well worth the effort to process.

You have 2 cockerels the pullets feathers will be penciled.
That's what I figured, just contacted the guy and he said he would swap them! :) One of 2 of my new girls!

I hope he wasn't trying either but either way, I now have two new girls :)
On the bright side SPR roos are gorgeous.
They are very gorgeous!!! I wish I could keep even one but sadly I live in the city.
I am sure he just made a mistake. I hope. Yes I agree great for the table, well worth the effort to process
Thanks for that. He swap them out for me :)

Hi all

Thank you for posting the SPPR pics from the Standards. Very interesting. Also, it is great to see real pictures of other silver pencilled birds that you post. I don't show my spprs, so seeing them on the web is useful to me for comparison purposes.

Here are a few pics that I took yesterday.

Young pair from first hatch 2013

More from first hatch 2013

Younger birds from the second hatch

Strutting my stuff

Laying hens in the run

Wearing a chicken saddle

Just one leg out (taken an hour ago)

Raising chickens is a great hobby! Never boring :lol:

Hi all

Thank you for posting the SPPR pics from the Standards. Very interesting. Also, it is great to see real pictures of other silver pencilled birds that you post. I don't show my spprs, so seeing them on the web is useful to me for comparison purposes.

Strutting my stuff
I love SPPR Roosters, they are so pretty and my boy is a great guy! Protects the girls, but knows I am boss and not to mess with me. Never even gives me the evil eye, LOL!

Hi all

More from first hatch 2013

Strutting my stuff

Laying hens in the run

Wearing a chicken saddle

Just one leg out (taken an hour ago)

Raising chickens is a great hobby! Never boring :lol:

Very nice looking SPPR, how old are your 2013 first hatch.

Howdy PR lovers. Has anyone had both the partridge and penciled PR? We have breeders in our area for both so we are narrowing it down since we only have room for one. The Partridge thread said the partridge coloring tends to be more broody. Anyone had this experience with the penciled? Do they all lay about the same? Any tempermant differences?

Hi Silver Rock

My first hatch was on March 15th, and the second hatch was in the second week of April. I'm going to combine the birds from the first hatches soon, but separate the cocks from the pullets. Will be culling most of the roosters when they reach a decent eating size.

Yes, the cocks are very eye catching, and so far they have been very placid, except with each other. The younger one from a 2012 hatch now keeps his distance from the larger 2011 cock. I am going to remove the larger cock from the laying hens pen and add in the younger cock (I didn't get a pic of him), because I want some hatching eggs from him too

Back
Top Bottom