Plymouth Rock thread!

temporary.jpg
This is my beauty miss chatty

Is it okay to put crosses on this thread too? If so, then this is Bucky my BR cross Roo.

37500_sdc10084.jpg

37500_sdc10390.jpg

This is Alex my BR hen.

37500_sdc10327.jpg

The reason her comb does not look like a single comb is because she had fowl pox and her comb got really bad. But the points are starting to grow back.
smile.png

37500_sdc10078.jpg

Here they are together.

http://www.bantamclub.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30%3Abuff-color-by-tom-roebuck&catid=1%3Alatest-news&Itemid=53

I found some information on Tom and if you are interested in some of the finest Heritage Large Fowl in the USA this fellow is breeding them. They may not be the worlds greatest layer or meat birds but the Cochins where the founding breeds of our American Large Fowl in the 1850s. Brought over from England on Whaling ships and also imported by our founders these chickens are in the good hands of great breeders. The Buff Plymouth Rock is a very rare bird maybe the fewest of our Rocks are the Buffs today. I bet there is less than 150 alive right now during breeding season. The could use some help from folks like you who want a good breed and help keep the numbers from going down. They are a very pretty bird on a green long in the spring time to look at.

Also, I have enclosed one of the finest articles on breeding I have ever requested. It was so good I submitted it to the ABA for their year book and its now on the ABA web site for all to read. Tome lives in Unionville, Virginal. Maybe Tom does not to far from you. It would be worth a trip to visit his farm and see all his wonderful chickens. I wish you the very best and I believe Tom is retired military. Bob

I have Columbian Rocks, and although they are still young they are very good natured.

I don't think color is an indicator of temperament.
The birds you are talking about probably came from a hatchery I would guess?
Their temperament is more of an indicator of what the hatchery may have crossed them with to get their color and egg production.
Years ago before we replaced all of our hatchery birds, my wife wanted some Gold Lace Wyandotte. I ordered 25 pullet chicks from one of the oldest hatcheries in USA. 7 of them grew out with straight combs!
Those 25 were some of the wildest chickens we have ever owned. Mean to the other chickens and next to impossible to handle.

This is one of the reasons we now only have true Heritage breeds we aquired thru small breeders.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom