Plymouth Rock thread!

Pics
Next couple of nights will be a test on fronstbite. We are going to get low single digits. So far we have been lucky with no frostbite yet hope we stay that way. Going to put in fresh straw today. Right now everyone is outside foraging. Even with the wind chill which makes it below 30 here now.

Rocks do not mind snow. They are out in it foraging even though they have a nice warmer coop with food. Yesterday even with real low temps we got 11 eggs. Today only 4 so far but that is not suprising with snow falling. We still have no frostbite either so extra straw worked great. I think we need a slogan like timex takes a liking and keeps on ticking. Nothing shackes these chickens. I have had other breeds in the past that would up and qiute in weather like this, but not the PRs.
yippiechickie.gif

Yard full o' rocks :

QuailHollow....that roo is gorgeous!!!

Do you ever sell hatching eggs? If so, I would be VERY interested. My BRs are nowhere near that nice

I second that! Wooohhhh, those are beautiful birds!​

Ooh, thanks! I do love my Rocks, that's true. Where did you get your lovely stock? My Lexie has developed severe arthritis in her feet and Ivy has almost died twice from reproductive infections, plus they are both 4 years old. That leaves me only three hens. Two of them are 3 years old and then I have Ivy's daughter, Fern. So, I will need to replenish my stock soon. Never want to be without my Rocks! They are my first love.
love.gif

OK I know you guys and gals are Barred Rock biased but if you can just for a moment put that bias aside I would appreciate some advice.
My original plan was to go with 15 Barred rock pullets (minimum order) assuming that out of the 15 in my order there would either be a packing peanut cockerel or one or two of the pullets would be a cockerel.
That actually was my first question ... is that a sound assumption?
Now I have been thinking that because of their winter hardines ( Michigan winters can be brutal) I would split the flock 1/2 and 1/2 and order 8 barred rocks and 8
hide.gif
Buff orphingtons.
Both breeds are winter hardy, calm, good layers and IMO low maintenance. (I'm an old man low Maintenance is important)
How do you think these two breeds would get along and down the road would breeding the two lend me a more hardy and calmer bird?

Back
Top Bottom