Plymouth Rock thread!

Quote:
thats not a good idea, that could only bring the Columbian Restrictor into play and would not allow for a full solid black females(example Black Sexlinks Pullets, they get Co from RIR and Extended black from Barred rocks) this Females show too much leakage due to Columbian, here take a look how these females look(replace the gold for the silver and you would have what a columbian rock mated to a BR female would look like) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/375015/sexlink-thread-pictures-and-discussion/610#post_6148606 now a Silver Partride Rock mated to a BR female would produce an almost solid black females(if not fully solid) due to the melanizing effect Pg(pattern gene) has on Extended black birds.

I will be on F3s when pens are set up....plans are to create progeny to eliminate brassiness in my CR males!!

Jeff - do yours have brassy shoulders/hackles/saddles??
Scott I have the 6 here yes they have the brassiness from hardly nil to a fair amount I'm thinking that the ones Ron is breeding is not throwing the autosomal red so much for some reason. I've seen yours (the ones you posted) they look to have more than my worst one shows. I have a couple of those boys that are good to go for me I just didn't end up with very good of a pullet selection one maybe two out of the four I will use and see where that takes me. they sure are pretty though I like them, glad to have some in my barn. they are deffinitly ROCKS.

Quote:
you should expect little leakage on these F1, females should be almost solid black.. you could cross these Black females back to Silver Partridge to produce Black males(50%) and then do sibling crossing to get Extended black in homozygous state(eliminating leakage)

Scott I have the 6 here yes they have the brassiness from hardly nil to a fair amount I'm thinking that the ones Ron is breeding is not throwing the autosomal red so much for some reason. I've seen yours (the ones you posted) they look to have more than my worst one shows. I have a couple of those boys that are good to go for me I just didn't end up with very good of a pullet selection one maybe two out of the four I will use and see where that takes me. they sure are pretty though I like them, glad to have some in my barn. they are deffinitly ROCKS.
I'd love to see some pix of the ones with the LEAST amount of brassiness

I have 1 that has very little, BUT, he is very weak in saddle and hackle striping. He has a GREAT TAIL (finally) so he will be single mated to one "special" girl I have picked out for him to see what they collectively can do to help me out

I'd love to see some pix of the ones with the LEAST amount of brassiness

I have 1 that has very little, BUT, he is very weak in saddle and hackle striping. He has a GREAT TAIL (finally) so he will be single mated to one "special" girl I have picked out for him to see what they collectively can do to help me out
...and Jeff, I might have misspoken way back concerning autosomnal red. I've been told the brassiness is a result of a lacking inhibitor Aph~I which is what I'm trying to bring in via an exhibition quality barred rock

I guess genetics are funny things.....here is a pullet (mine) that is from a Columbian male (eb based) over a Wheeler Barred Female....not a spec of ANYTHING other than black

ep.gif
Gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom